OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

NC Youth Hunt Success!

Started by Garrett Trentham, April 07, 2012, 04:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garrett Trentham

Took my buddy's nephew out this morning to some land my buddy has in Northampton County, NC this morning. We scouted it yesterday and found out where the birds were roosting and strutting. We got the blind set up and then went out to catch some stripers on the Roanoke River at Weldon, NC. The fishing was slow, but we had a good time and Dawson caught a nice striper.

We got set up in the blind real early this am and had birds gobbling all around us at daylight. They were henned up and didn't really want to play, but with multiple turkeys in the vicinity, I knew one would come through eventually. Sure enough after a couple of hens passed through the decoys, this big boy stepped out. We were about to get out of the blind when we saw him. He slowly made his way to the decoys stopping to strut a little and eat some bugs. Once he got to 40 yds, he lost began to lose interest, and I let Dawson shoot him. He put him down without a flop! I got all but the kill shot on film because I was more focused on him not missing his first bird, but I think it will still turn out okay.

I look forward to the youth hunt each year more than I do opening day. I swear it's almost more fun to watch them shoot one that it is for me to pull the trigger!

"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

chatterbox

moonman

Keep your nose in the wind,your eyes on the skyline.

JVA54

runngun

Tell him we said congrats from all at old gobbler!!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Saylfish

IAFF 1377

ncturkey

Awesome. Congrat's to you and your son on his first turkey. I missed the NC youth opener.

boomer

Congrats!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Rio Fan

30_06

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Ol'Mossy

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase