OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Off to Ks in a week or so-Tips?  (Read 4101 times)

Offline habitatmd

Off to Ks in a week or so-Tips?
« on: April 06, 2012, 11:03:40 PM »
Any last minute tips before I go out there?  I've got aerials of WIHA's of the area, good map, etc.  I'm assume we are going to be doing quite a bit of time behind the wheel driving from WIHA to WIHA scouting.  We will call a WA home base and hopefully we will find a few turkeys there.  I'm not going to lie, I'm not used to killing open land turkeys.  I've hunted Missouri all my life.  I'll just say we will be in the Northeast/North Central part of the state.

So...lets have the last minute words of wisdom.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 11:42:39 PM by habitatmd »

Offline cornfedkiller

Re: Off to Ks in a week or so-Tips?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 09:39:59 AM »
Sorry I dont have any tips for you, but good luck!  Hopefully you can get on some good birds!

My girlfriend and I are headed there in two weeks..

Online TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 03:31:18 PM »
hunt smart, glass with a good pair of binos and spotting scope will save valuable time and boot leather
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline cornfedkiller

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 04:07:24 PM »
Actually I do have one piece of advice - take lots of pics!   :icon_thumright:

Offline spaightlabs

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 07:06:22 PM »
Keep your eyes on the ground - Morels and wild asparagus are good eats. 

Don't mention the NCAA finals - it's still a bit tender for them.

if it rains, DO NOT LEAVE THE MAIN ROADS!  I don't care how bad a$$ you think your rig is, KS has no gravel in a lot of their road base ( at least in Western KS) and the side roads turn into grease with a bit of water.  With the wind they dry out in 4 hours after it stops raining.  I double dog dare ya to not believe me.

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 08:19:11 PM »
if it rains, DO NOT LEAVE THE MAIN ROADS!  I don't care how bad a$$ you think your rig is, KS has no gravel in a lot of their road base ( at least in Western KS) and the side roads turn into grease with a bit of water.

Listen to this man!  He knows of what he speaks.

Offline habitatmd

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 10:06:02 PM »
Good info.  Especially on the roads.  Already have the tow strap in the back of the truck.  I have no desire to use it.

I'm a Mizzou grad, so I'm not even sure I could say I'm bitter since we didn't make it out of the first round.  I still don't know what to say about that.  I won't wear my Mizzou shirt out there.

By main roads, are you all talking blacktop or main gravel road?  Doesn't look like much blacktop out in them parts.  I've got a diesel, so they really enjoy sinking deep quickly into the soft stuff.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 10:10:39 PM by habitatmd »

Offline spaightlabs

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 05:45:10 PM »

Listen to this man!  He knows of what he speaks.

Unfortunately, yes I do...few more inches and out woulda rolled into a 40 foot deep drop/ravine...

Mostly the roads that head off from the hard roads are ok.  The roads that branch off of them, not so much...

Offline habitatmd

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 10:23:06 PM »
Roger that.  Appreciate the info.

I see what you mean about no gravel.  Guess you can't even call that a gravel road.

I think we should hit the morels just about right.  Heck it may even be a bit late with all the warm temps.  I'll have to do some searching on wild asparagus.  Never heard of it.

Edit:  From what I read, wild aspargus looks like....well....asparagus.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 10:28:42 PM by habitatmd »

Offline cornfedkiller

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 08:14:23 AM »
...I'll have to do some searching on wild asparagus.  Never heard of it.

Edit:  From what I read, wild aspargus looks like....well....asparagus.

Haha its pretty much the same thing..The wild stuff just tastes better.

Be sure to snap it off rather than pulling the root out so it grow back though  :icon_thumright:

Offline Mike Honcho

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 12:07:16 PM »
Where you are hunting is predominantly agricultural and thus these folks are Kansas State University Wildcat fans. (the agricultural school) ..the doctors and lawyers in Kansas are Jayhawk fans.  Good luck  on your hunt!

Offline habitatmd

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 10:54:34 PM »
Truer words have never been spoken about the roads turning to grease.  First road we turned off of when we arrived at 5:00 in the am was mud.  Rained 3" the night before.  Had to wait for it to get light to assess the situation. Luckily, we didn't have to acquaint ourselves with a local farmer.   Lets just say, hay works to get at least some traction.  I was thinking about this thread as we started down the road, so we didn't go too far down it.  Arriving before light without knowledge of the roads isn't the best move in the world.

I'll post up some of our trip once I get some more time.  Thanks for the tips guys.  
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 10:57:27 PM by habitatmd »

Offline stinkpickle

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • "Milk was a bad choice!"
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 01:45:18 AM »
That mud they got out there is nasty!!!  It'll pack in the tread voids, and no matter how fast you spin 'em, your tires won't clean out.