North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

How far to set up from suspected roost?

Started by Siwash, April 06, 2012, 08:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siwash

Hey folks:

I will be hunting a woodlot that is about 80-100 acres surrounded by corn and some soy and other parcles of woodlot.. there's a small creek running through this woodlot. I think I know where they are roosting.. seems to be a few trees in particular (up here in Ontario, Canada, it seems to be big white pines or large maple or ash..) What I see is poop below these big trees and some feathers, so i think they are roosting spots.

How far away should i set up? I am think 70 yards? Is that too close? Last season i walked under a tree I knew they were roosting and I flushed them.. stupid mistake from an inexperienced turkey hunter!

Thoughts? Thanks!    :)

tomanyturkeycalls

I like to get within 50 to 100 yards , it all depends on foilage and terrain.. if it is thick I might try to get alittle closer and I usually go in very early before first light

Duke0002

If you can pattern where they will go after fly down to feed or strut, sit between the roost and the place they want to go.  Sometimes this isn't possible. 

As tomanyturkeycalls said, it depends on terrain and cover.  If the gobblers are with hens immediately after fly down,  use some very soft purrs and scratching.  Many times the gobblers will note where a hen sound (you) is, and will come courting after the real hens leave.   

Patience and be as still as possible.   This may take some hours.  Also, watch out for gobblers coming in silent.  Hens may come to you in order to check out the new voice in the woods, so keep still.

Roosted birds have animals walking under them all night long.  If you accidentally walk under them again  (we've all done it, knowingly or unknowningly), don't stop to look.  Just keep walking and devise a plan.