OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Double Bull Darkhorse Blind (setting it up for the first time)

Started by Rio Fan, April 03, 2012, 04:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rio Fan

Guys, I bought one of these blinds because my 6 year old daughter is showing some interest in tagging along with me.  I tried setting it up today and I'm having a heck of a time with it.  The hubs seem very stiff and I imagine they'll loosen up some the more I use it.  But does anyone have some tips they could give me to get it set up?   Thanks!

cornfedkiller

I just went through the same thing about a week ago...I had a blind that was probably 6 or so years old and it opens and closes easy as could be, and I could set it up in about 10 seconds.  The new one, no joke, probably took me 10 minutes to set up the first time.  You are right, the hubs and fabric is very very tight.  

What I did is just keep going around the blind and opening each wall up...Not engaging the hub and opening it completely, but opening it up to a square to get all the fabric to unstick from itself..then fold it back up and do another wall.  Eventually you will be able to get one of the hubs to pop over with some pulling/pushing.  If you can only get one of the walls to open up completely, leave that one open for a little while and let it stretch, and then close it and start with a different wall the next time..

Each time you get it set up, the easier it gets - and if you can set it up and let it sit it outside in the sun for a few days, it will really help break it in.

tjfish

1. put the blind on the ground and lay out one side in a square.
2. push out the hub
3. find the ceiling hub and push it out as you stand up inside the blind.
4. push out all the other hubs from inside the blind.
Whole process should take a couple seconds and is really easy.

Reverse the process to take down.

cornfedkiller

Quote from: tjfish on April 03, 2012, 05:11:18 PM
2. push out the hub

This typically works very well - except when the blind is brand new.  The fabric is so tight that you cant get the hubs to pop out very easily to open that first wall, and then when you stand up inside the blind, the other walls dont "fall" open - they are very hard to get open.

sugarray

Quote from: tjfish on April 03, 2012, 05:11:18 PM
2. push out the hub

I have done this from the beginning with my Matrix.  Never had a problem.  Don't force it, you'll break a rod or the ball that fits into the hub.  You'll get it.

Rio Fan

Thanks for tips, guys!  I got it set up.  It was just so stiff at the beginning, now it should be a piece of cake.  Thanks again!

kosman

I have the same issue with my Dark Horse. I follow the steps in their video but I tie the side wall hubs together and stand on the rope. Then both hands can be used to push up and open the first side. Remove the rope and push through the other hubs..

Will

sugarray

habitatmd

I was out in the garage of a guy that got one.  Well...several beers into the garage session, he decides to get the blind out and show us how to put it up.  After 20 minute of him struggling and my incessant laughing watching him wrestle this blind, he finally gave up.  I bet you could youtube it or something if you needed any additional instruction.