turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Quiet birds

Started by jasoncarave, April 02, 2012, 10:02:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasoncarave

Ok I am fairly new to turkey hunting. I live in west Tn, our season just opened up and I cant get a tom to gobble. Not even a shock gobble. It has been extremly warm for this time of year. What can i do to help locate birds?

dirt road ninja

:welcomeOG:

I'd talk with other folks that hunt the same general area and see if they are hearing any.

Are you sure there are turkeys where you are hunting? If so, then just go to an area with sign and sit still without calling and see if ya hear something.

If you are hearing birds, but they are not responding to your calls you might not be sounding like a turkey.

I find shock gobbling works best when I'm with in 150 yards of a bird.

Good luck.

glennz

Go before dark, usually if theres a turkey around he will gobble once or twice before day break.

jakebird

Hunting pressure, weather, and breeding phase all dictate gobbling activity. In this case u may not be able to raise a gobble. Best to locate sign and hunt over it, calling sparingly. However, a turkey cannot mask the sound of wingbeats, and if u think u know where they roost, slip within a hundred yds in the morn and eve and listen for the thumping of those wings going up to bed or down in the morning. Tune in close for spitting and drumming, too. They often do that in the tree even when they dont gobble. Use a hearing aid if u have to. Hope this helps you some. Good luck!
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

worth612000

It has been quiet where I hunt also. With all the pic post yesterday on the birds taken i decided to go out this morning. Didn't get one but it was one of the most enjoyable hunts in awhile, they were gobbling like crazy. So what they do today isn't necessary what will happen tomorrow.

captin_hook

Funny creatures. Sometimes when I'm hunting I won't hear a gobble, other days they gobble like mad, & I know there are birds where I'm hunting, sometimes they just don't sound off.

dlquinn

Quote from: captin_hook on April 04, 2012, 08:45:30 AM
Funny creatures. Sometimes when I'm hunting I won't hear a gobble, other days they gobble like mad, & I know there are birds where I'm hunting, sometimes they just don't sound off.

Monday heard 5-6 different birds, ended up getting close to two but could not get them within 40 yards. Went back to the same area Tuesday and never heard a gobble...it was a little windy so guess either they got quiet or I just couldn't hear them because of the wind. Either way back to back days, same area, two different experiences.

NRA-STAND AND FIGHT