OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

using a Gobblers fan to bring in another gobbler?

Started by Thomas6689, April 01, 2012, 09:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas6689

I have heard about people using a gobblers fan to bring gobblers into shooting range. my question is, how is the best way to do this and when to do it? it just seems to me that this might spook them. Can someone give me some advice on this?

timberjack86

First thing I would do is get good life insurance. :fud: Seriously though I have a buddy that swears by it. He will stalk them in a field holding the fan in front of him to hide him. I would never,ever do it .

bird

Fanning as it is called is irresponsible, dangerous and just plain stupid!

Thomas6689

The place i was going to try this im not worried about other hunters being around is there anyone who has done this before.

jakebird

What you are describing sounds very dangerous. Here in PA all forms of stalking a turkey are illegal. I do have an old timer buddy of mine who has been usng fans fastened to old arrow shafts and staked in the ground, as a a decoy for way longer than dekes have been popular. Even wth all of the ultra realistic decoys on the market, he still kills birds regularly with this method. He says they will keep circling the fan trying to get to the head and body, and unable to find it, but they rarely ever spook. Just keep circling in a comical fashion until he shoots. I would never stalk along behind a fan. Thats just begging to become a statistic. Call them in, wait them out. For cryin out loud, i'd rather see someone roll one off the roost than need to kill a turkey so bad they get shot for dressing up like one. Please, don't do that!
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

glennz

theres videos on youtube of this... quite interesting

OLE RASPY

Quote from: Thomas6689 on April 01, 2012, 11:45:07 PM
The place i was going to try this im not worried about other hunters being around is there anyone who has done this before.
I do.

bnew17

I have a good friend of mine that uses a jake fan a good bit when hunting, and does so successfully. He hunts in an area with alot of roads and the turkeys on this property love to use these roads as strut zones. Alot of times he will ease up to the roads and see if a bird is out there. If there is he will set up  get their attention and put up the fan, and move it as a turkey would when he is strutting. Many times they come a running.

MOStrutter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hXFQCQGVDE

You all could sneak up on turkeys like these guys do.  I have talked to one of the guys who used to do this a lot and said it was almost boring shooting turkeys like that because it was so easy.