turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My Little Woods

Started by Hootowl, March 31, 2012, 12:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hootowl

I hunt a small property here in Indiana about 60 acers. and it has Turkey on it but not every day, Last week while scouting I came up on a Tree that had about 12 Birds, I backed out and watched from a groundblind. This week I went back and No Birds, Not am Or pm. So now I have to find out where they are Roosting, Or will They come Back, we still have Several weeks till season So Iam hoping they come Back to Roost? I have an Idea wher they may be But its Posted No Hunting....Iam hoping I can get a Few places other than this woods But This has been a Great woods, Deer and Turkey, Killed My 1st Bird Last year, And Yes I have The Fever, Real bad...Last year I went to Kansas, which was a Learning Exp, I came Home and In 20 Minutes Killed My Bird.....

HunterMan

They will be back. Turkeys have favorite places they like to roost, but not always the same place.

gunnerj

Put the scout time in and try to figure a pattern. You know where they like to roost, try not to bump them.  :anim_25:

open door

If the birds left your property, they still may be close by, although you can't cross the property boundary lines, you can call to them. Many don't like loud aluminum calls, but I have one of Mark Drury's, and it is what I kill my turkeys with. You can reach out with that thing, and certain days they really respond to it. Give one a try - it's at a higher frequency than turkeys normally call at. That's not how turkeys call in the woods, but so what, it works. In duck huting, ducks don't high ball, but you use a high ball call and it works getting the ducks in - same thing with oversize decoys. Do what works!!!

Hootowl

I just bought a  aluminum pot call, thinking the same thing. Will give it a go, if they are not there after a few hours, might just have to get there attention.