OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

DSD decoys

Started by tomanyturkeycalls, March 28, 2012, 10:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomanyturkeycalls

Thinking about buying the dsd feeder hen and the upright hen..... is it worth getting the jake decoy or am i just wasting my money?  never had a jake decoy before... Thanks

Hognutz

I just bought the alert hen and the jake. I had the same question, as I have not used a jake, much. The majority of people swore by the DSD jake. They said it drives the big toms crazy. I will find out in two weeks..If you do buy a pair, check out Usahuntingear.com for a double decoy bag. It is worth your time and effort. Made extremely well and very affordable..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

RutnNStrutn

Jake dekes, like any male deke, from any manufacturer can be a mixed blessing. Most people either love or hate male dekes. I've used jake dekes, and had some success, but I've had much better success with full strutter dekes. With either though, you risk the occasional bad hunt where your male deke will scare off a sissy gobbler.
Personally, I say go for it!! I've had much more success than failure with a male deke. Personally, I'd go with the DSD full strutter like Old Gobbler has. But if you want a jake, I'd say go for it. Good luck!!

Scout24

I much prefer a jake and a hen over two hens, it elicits an immediate jealousy response in most toms. Out of a couple dozen shot over decoys I can't remember a  single time when they ran to the hen before the jake. Not saying it doesn't occur, but hasn't with my experiences, and I often run a battery operated motion hen (by Expedite, no longer made), and they still attack the jake.

Old Gobbler

The strutter is bad news on dominant gobblers - Ive probably pulled in a combined 60 Jake's and gobblers with it while guiding and hunting with it in the last year alone - it is vastly superior to any of the El cheapo blowup china copycat decoys out there - it is deadly , built to last , and American made 

If I had some spare change jingling in my pocket , and I wanted to progressively build up a quiver of decoys , I would purchase in this order --  #1 upright DSD hen then  #2 DSD Strutter

When you are using the strutter you want to put it in a safe place of course , but wide out in the open where it can be seen by every turkey in the area - here in Florida this means right out in a pasture or marsh , with me sitting out in the open under a Myrtle bush in a low chair in the shade - Ive seen gobblers close on in like a shark on a bleeding seal pup to it - its crazy 

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Gobble!

Last year I used the upright and feeding hens with the strutter. I had great results but when hunting on the move it became too much. I purchased a jake I will try this year for the first time.

Dan Mallia

Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 29, 2012, 09:09:53 AM
The strutter is bad news on dominant gobblers - Ive probably pulled in a combined 60 Jake's and gobblers with it while guiding and hunting with it in the last year alone - it is vastly superior to any of the El cheapo blowup china copycat decoys out there - it is deadly , built to last , and American made 

If I had some spare change jingling in my pocket , and I wanted to progressively build up a quiver of decoys , I would purchase in this order --  #1 upright DSD hen then  #2 DSD Strutter

When you are using the strutter you want to put it in a safe place of course , but wide out in the open where it can be seen by every turkey in the area - here in Florida this means right out in a pasture or marsh , with me sitting out in the open under a Myrtle bush in a low chair in the shade - Ive seen gobblers close on in like a shark on a bleeding seal pup to it - its crazy 

Great advice.  I'm going to add a Strutter to the arsenal, especially for bow season.