turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Slate call

Started by Runnin Gunner, March 28, 2012, 07:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Runnin Gunner

Looking to see what methods or techniques folks use to condition the slate surface of pot calls...  Scotchbrite, sandpaper, how often, etc?  New to the game but love it so I want to learn to do it right.
For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.  (1 Corinthians 2:2)

Longbeardfever4ever

Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

FloppinTom

I use sand paper or scotch brite green, as far as how often I rub mine down when I sit down and get ready to call. You can run the call till it gets slick and you start loosing sound quality. You'll know from practicing with your slate wehen is time to rough it up again. Good luck!
Go early, stay late, be patient and sit still.

Runnin Gunner

Thanks for the info. My new Roberts Brother's ultimate wormy chestnut just got here and I really like it. Sounds great to me.
For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.  (1 Corinthians 2:2)

cornfedkiller

Heres a little something I use and I really like it..

I got some sandpaper and some scotch-brite pads and glued them together with some waterproof glue.  I then cut the pads into 6 pieces (if I remember right), punched a hole in the top corner with a paper-punch...Scotch-brite for the call surface, and the sandpaper to clean up the striker tip..cheap and works great!

xcallmaker

I like to use scotch brite pads for the slate surface and sandpaper for the striker. You can condition the slate in one direction only but still works fine in circular motions. Just condition the striker when it starts to glide across the surface and periodically do  the slate. If your running a glass call  then you need to condition in one direction only!
Kelly Gadus
www.gadusgamecalls.com

gunnerj

Little green scotchbrite pad coms with them works great. Don't forget to touch the tip of the striker from time to time.

Runnin Gunner

Great stuff. Thanks a bunch. Time to go put one to bed so we can have breakfast together in the morning!

bbcoach

When I get a new slate, I use 150 grit sandpaper on it to condition it, in one direction only, then it's green scotchbrite in the same direction after that to keep it clean.

cahaba

On a new slate I condition it good with 200 grit sanpaper then its green scotchbrite. Also condition the strikers as much or more thn the slate Take a lighter and hold the flame up to the middle of the call and watch a ring of moisture dissipate from the center all the way to the edge of the call. Be careful not to get it to hot. You might could use a hair dryer but I have only used a lighter. I cant take credit for this. I read it somewhere, maybe on OG.

Trevor2

Quote from: xcallmaker on March 30, 2012, 04:48:04 PM
I like to use scotch brite pads for the slate surface and sandpaper for the striker. You can condition the slate in one direction only but still works fine in circular motions. Just condition the striker when it starts to glide across the surface and periodically do  the slate. If your running a glass call  then you need to condition in one direction only!
Kelly Gadus
www.gadusgamecalls.com
Also if you run glass, condition your striker tip more often bc the little glass slivers will embedd in the end of them and sound like crap!
Strutstopper

Beard Buster

I use 220 grit on the slate in one direction followed up with a green scotch brite pad.  For the striker I use 120 grit sandpaper.