turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Are full strut decoys dangerous?

Started by joffutt1, March 28, 2012, 12:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joffutt1

I was thinking about getting a pretty boy decoy but my buddy keeps telling me that I'm going to get shot.  I know that rifles are illegal but can't say that I have confidence in some to follow the law so should i stay away from these and just stick to hen decoys?

drenalinld

Irresponsible hunters are dangerous. Full strut decoys are more easily mistaken for the real thing.

gobblingghost

ones that kill me are the crazy hunters that will crawl with a full strut decoy. To me this is stupid.

TauntoHawk

1. never crawl or stalk with a full strut decoy infront of you.. (seems dumb to have to say that but people do)

2. when transporting ALWAY use a decoy bag or blaze orange cover

3. do not set up with decoy in sight or inline of any visible roads

follow those 3 and you can be fairly certain of not having any issues, but if you still dont feel safe than dont use one    :fud: :OGani: there are plenty of crazy people out there for sure!

my uncle was shot in the leg by a guy during a flintlock deer season while wearing blaze orange.. Dont ask what he was thinking or why he ran off when my uncle yelled for help that he'd been shot.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: drenalinld on March 28, 2012, 01:03:25 PM
Irresponsible hunters are dangerous. Full strut decoys are more easily mistaken for the real thing.

:z-winnersmiley: :icon_thumright:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Duke0002

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 28, 2012, 02:22:10 PM
1. never crawl or stalk with a full strut decoy infront of you.. (seems dumb to have to say that but people do)

2. when transporting ALWAY use a decoy bag or blaze orange cover

3. do not set up with decoy in sight or inline of any visible roads

follow those 3 and you can be fairly certain of not having any issues, but if you still dont feel safe than dont use one    :fud: :OGani: there are plenty of crazy people out there for sure! /quote]

Great advice.  Also, place it where other hunters (if they shoot at it), won't hit you.  You'll have to guess what angles they may be coming from.  Simply, minimize the possibilities of you getting nailed.

bowhunter32

u can always put blaze orange stickers in the middle of the wings. jus b careful.. private land not so bad...public land maybe lil mo dangerous..

MiamiE

I wouldn't use one of those where I hunt, or on any public land for that matter. Way to many whackos out there.

budtripp

I use them on private land with no problems, but I'm leery of using ANY decoys on public.