OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

#5s VS #6s

Started by Rockhound, March 27, 2012, 10:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawei

Thanks, I'll now be shopping for some!

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

LBSS

My 10ga would put 88 #4s in a 10" pattern @40. But I don't like those older win loads from dunns the 2 1/4oz ones. They dont have a good wad. Just a fiber card and plastic wrap.  The hv loads pattern alot better . 100+ hits though I think handloading I could get more hits

Ol'Mossy

I've been using #6's since I began turkey hunting 18 years ago and I never had a problem killing any turkey out to 40 yards and beyond.

WildTigerTrout

I like and use #6. IMO Win. Supreme High-Vel. are the best of the lot. I use the 3.5" 2oz. loads in my SBE.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

BrowningGuy88

I use 4's, 5's, and 6's in lead. I have killed turkeys with them all, but I just prefer 5's.

I don't think in the field there is enough difference in the loads to argue over. Just shoot what patterns best for you.

bigredneck61088

I like the energy of fives, and my gun shoots better with them, i just use em because they are a good happy medium between 4s and 6s

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI like the energy of fives, and my gun shoots better with them, i just use em because they are a good happy medium between 4s and 6s

That's every reason to shoot 5's all rolled up into one sentence.

I like 5's too.  They really do hang with 6's at 40 Yards in some setups.  Or maybe those setups just don't shine with 6's?

BandedSpur

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on June 27, 2012, 10:11:35 AM
QuoteI like the energy of fives, and my gun shoots better with them, i just use em because they are a good happy medium between 4s and 6s

That's every reason to shoot 5's all rolled up into one sentence.

I like 5's too.  They really do hang with 6's at 40 Yards in some setups.  Or maybe those setups just don't shine with 6's?

I think it boils down to using whichever puts up the best numbers. Sixes carry enough energy to kill to any range the pattern holds up. But I agree there is no reason to shoot 6s if the 5s outpattern them.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Quotethere is no reason to shoot 6s if the 5s outpattern them.

I say there's no reason to shoot 6's if 5's will just "equal" them pattern-wise.  If the two patterns are really close to one another, I'll take the bigger pellets every time.

BandedSpur

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on June 29, 2012, 04:58:34 AM
Quotethere is no reason to shoot 6s if the 5s outpattern them.

I say there's no reason to shoot 6's if 5's will just "equal" them pattern-wise.  If the two patterns are really close to one another, I'll take the bigger pellets every time.
Can't argue with that. If the numbers are equal, then by all means shoot the 5s.