turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Where'd the birds go?

Started by Kywoodsman, March 26, 2012, 08:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kywoodsman

I've got a question that I was wondering about. For about the past month I have been watching a gobbler and a group of about 8-10 hens in the exact same field at the exact same time every day. For some reason within the last week or so that pattern has suddenly changed. I haven't been seeing them in the field any longer and I'm starting to see hens in the afternoon by themselves. With the exception of hearing the tom gobbling one out of about the last 6-7 mornings I've seen no sign of him. The Kentucky opener is still a couple of weeks away and I was really excited about my chances on this bird because he was on a simple pattern and was mostly on family owned land. Does anybody have any suggestions or know what might have happened? Is it possible that the early spring has led to hens being bred early and dispersing to nest and Do you think this tom is still around very close? Sorry for the stupid sounding questions just a little clueless right now.

guesswho

If he wasn't poached then he ain't far.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

jakebird

There's a ton of possible answers. You may not even be hearing the same bird you saw earlier, u have to assume it could be another bird. He may have got poached, coyote dinner, or another tom or even a bunch of jakes maybe ran him off. I doubt all those hens are incubating yet, but youre south enough, i guess its possible. All i can tell ya for sure, is this is exactly the reason why you have to scout continuously and especially dont rely on info more than a few days or weeks old, as things constantly change and affect patterns. Atleast u know this now, and not later. Just keep scouting and adjust your plans accordingly. You'll be that much closer to filling your tag. Good luck!
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

Runnin Gunner

I noticed something similar here in Florida. Our birds stay in the same general areas for several days and then seem to vanish for a few days. About three days later they seem to be back "home"
For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.  (1 Corinthians 2:2)

Kywoodsman

Alright. Thanks for the responses everybody. Hopefully he's still around somewhere.

Lenny870

gunnerj

Anything could have happened to the resident tom as stated by the other guys. You still have the hens around so you still have the bait to bring THE tom back or another 1 or 2 calling. You've still got time before season, keep scoutin'.