turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Walkers Power Muff Quads

Started by Turkey Beard, March 26, 2012, 09:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkey Beard

I went out this morning to listen and used my new Quads. I could hear much better but noticed one thing: A turkey that I had coursed with the Quads sounded like it was more to the right when I took the Quads off, and I mean it was like from 10 o'clock to noon in the difference, which makes me think that I hear better from the left ear than the right. I'm wondering if perhaps I should adjust the Quads so that the right ear is more powerful than the left, rather than having them turned on the same amount? Suggestions?
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

FireFly908

I'm older and my hearing leaves something to be desired so I use Walkers Power Muff Quads.  They do pick up the sound a lot better, BUT I am unable to pinpoint the direction.  After I pick up up the sound of a turkey, I take the Quads off and just work the turkey in until I can hear it with my own ears.  If this doesn't work within 5 or 10 minutes, I put them back on and see if the turkey is still in the area.
But, no matter what, I can't differentiate direction with them.
Also, a time or two, I would lift them off long enough to get direction and then put them back on.
I do really enjoy them because of the ability to pick up sounds I can't normally hear, though!

ThicketThrasher

My hearing is terrible and the Quads help me to hear sounds that I would normally not pick up. But I cannot course at all with them. I have tried to adjust the volume to compensate for my imbalanced hearing but I have never been able to get it to work. I also just take them off and cup my hand around my "not so bad ear" and try to pick up the sound that way in order to figure out where it is coming from.

Turkey Beard

Thanks for the replies, fellers.  I was able to course the birds, just enough degrees off that I was concerned.  Got some experimenting to do; I think I'll get out into a field or the woods and have someone call or shake a gobbler tube at me, both with the Quads and without, so I can fine-tune.  Can't tell I'm a firstborn can you?  :toothy12:
www.1upgamecalls.com

Turkey Beard

Initial tests show that if I put the left (stronger) muff at about 7:00 and the right (weaker ear) muff at 11:00, I'm able to course better.  Will continue testing...
www.1upgamecalls.com

Turkey Beard

Not sure there's any interest, but here's a further update: It seems to work to set one ear and then, without looking at the gauge, set the other ear so that you have the same amount of "hiss" in it. Also note that if you turn them all the way up, it seems to muffle the gobble. Maybe the birds had flown down by the time I tried this, though, so it may be ground and foliage that's muffling the sound but I don't think that max volume is the way to go.
www.1upgamecalls.com

lowoctane

I don't have the Quads, but use some older Action Ear Sports that have two mikes on them and have no problems with direction. Love the fact that they clip loud noises! Gotta protect what I've got left! If I hear a bunch of gobblers, my tactic is to work on one bird and one bird only. It has brought multiple roosters into my area many times! The first time i tried it, had five come to me at once! One monster and four jakes. Ended up taking a jake cause the big boy spooked. What a hunt!!!
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Turkey Beard on March 30, 2012, 09:18:37 AM
Not sure there's any interest, but here's a further update: It seems to work to set one ear and then, without looking at the gauge, set the other ear so that you have the same amount of "hiss" in it. Also note that if you turn them all the way up, it seems to muffle the gobble. Maybe the birds had flown down by the time I tried this, though, so it may be ground and foliage that's muffling the sound but I don't think that max volume is the way to go.

That's the right way to do it right there.  Set one side to a certain volume level and then adjust the other side to THAT SAME LEVEL.  You'll be able to tell direction much better that way.   :icon_thumright:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Turkey Beard

Thanks for the replies, input, and interest, guys!
www.1upgamecalls.com