OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Difficulty with direction

Started by TNTOM, March 25, 2012, 10:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNTOM

I could use some advice. I can only hear out of one ear which makes it really difficult to locate the direction of a gobbling bird.  Until I started turkey hunting I didn't realize that you need both ears for direction.  If a bird is hammering I can spin my head around and narrow in on him.  If he gobbles once I can't tell much more than distance.  Help! 

open door

I started to post about this problem the other day but didn't for some reason. I'm the same way - my right ear is gone, and because of it, I've lost 2 or 3 gobblers because I couldn't course their direction. I need to hire somebody to go with me to show me which way the gobble is, lol. Seriously, it's frustrating to say the least. If a noise is constant, I can turn and course in on it. However, since a gobble only lasts a couple of seconds, it always sounds like the direction my left ear (good ear) is pointed. Let me know if you get this one figured out, please!!!

Turkey Beard

I was out listening this morning, using Walkers Power Muffs.  No suggestions from me for you (since you both have 1 ear totally gone), but I'm going to post a question of my own about this.  Luck...
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

Nick_The_Tinkerer

For Hire - Ears for Hire for those who cant hear well..............
Wont charge much, but eat alot as long as I get to shoot a few Ill be your ears  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

open door

LOL, Nick, you're as bad as me "will hunt - for food". At my age what's better than huntin'? Eating!!!

jakebird

Find yourself a well mannered kid with a love for the outdoors and in need of a mentor. In exchange for his "ears", u teach him everything you know. It's a win, win situation.  :)
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

FireFly908

Quote from: jakebird on March 26, 2012, 01:14:45 PM
Find yourself a well mannered kid with a love for the outdoors and in need of a mentor. In exchange for his "ears", u teach him everything you know. It's a win, win situation.  :)

This is a serious reply that deserves your attention!  It is definitely a win, win situation!

TNTOM

Quote from: FireFly908 on March 26, 2012, 03:15:36 PM
Quote from: jakebird on March 26, 2012, 01:14:45 PM

This is a serious reply that deserves your attention!  It is definitely a win, win situation!

I appreciate all of the advice and I couldn't agree more with the comment above.  I've carried the neighbor's boy with me a few times and he loves it but I'm competing with girls, soccer, etc.  I have two young ones of my own and believe me they will be in the woods with me in a couple years as my hearing ear dog.   

In the mean time I'll continue to chase 'em as best I can with my one good ear. 

hoyt

I have the same problem being almost deaf in one ear...busted ear drum.  Also have tinnitus (ringing in my ears 24hrs a day) and just about 100% loss of high frequency hearing.

Walker's Game Ears didn't do me any good...so I just cup my best ear with my hand and turn my head toward whichever way I think the gobble is coming from and it helps some.

I'll be glad when someone comes out with a hand held, gobble direction gauge. Been hoping it would get invented for a few yrs.

jakebird

lol when they invent that, i'll get a silent gobbler detector that lights up and points to go along with mine.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

open door

Thanks for all the comments - I love the one about taking a kid - I have 2 Grandsons, the oldest is 6 and I'm hoping he will like hunting. So far no interest in guns, but I'll keep trying. God's blessings to all of you - He's coming soon - THAT is what I'm praying for!