OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

what choke for my Encore

Started by Brian Stewart, March 25, 2012, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Stewart

I've been doing a little patterning and I'm a little bothered by my results. I've tried the factory choke, Hevi-shots choke .573 and a Rhino .575 choke, with Mega blends, hevi13 #7s, and Nitrocompany Megaweights. The best pattern I've got is 112 pellets in a 10" circle. What should I try with either the Hevi13 #7s or Federal #7s. I think I'll hold off on testing the Megaweights till later. Thanks
But as for me and my family, we will serve the LORD.  Joshua 24:15

jtharpe

mine does better with a tighter choke 555 and 562.

sugarray

What type of chokes can you use?  I mean what is the threading?

Brian Stewart

It takes invector, mossberg or win choke threads.

sugarray

Any of the choke makers would be good.  I'd find one in the .550 to .555 range.

SumToy, Pure Gold, Indian Creek. Even the TruGlo SSX - really puts up great numbers with the HW 7s.

hookedspur

Quote from: jtharpe on March 25, 2012, 08:17:22 PM
mone does better with a tighter chome 555 and 562.
THIS IS TRUTH  :icon_thumright: I have a 555 IC and a 562 Sumtoy that both shoot GREAT !!
         with Nitro  or h13     7s
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Brian Stewart

I ended up ordering an IC 555, and a Sumtoy 562 I also called Rhino and they are going to switch out the 575 they sent to a 565 and see how that goes. I also ordered some Federal HW #7s from Dunns  for my Sumtoy. I figure atleast one of these combos are going to have to work. Now if I can make up my mind on my scope I've had it on and off twice. I've used a scope for about 10 years now but this is the first shotgun I've ever had that had fiber optic rifle sights. It keeps the weight down plus I don't have to worry about the battery.

jtharpe

I like the FO sights on mine, nothing to worry about.

otis

:wave: i have a 570 pure gold  for a encore  20 gauge i would trade for a Indian creek

otis

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Brian Stewart on March 25, 2012, 08:10:16 PM
I've been doing a little patterning and I'm a little bothered by my results. I've tried the factory choke, Hevi-shots choke .573 and a Rhino .575 choke, with Mega blends, hevi13 #7s, and Nitrocompany Megaweights. The best pattern I've got is 112 pellets in a 10" circle. What should I try with either the Hevi13 #7s or Federal #7s. I think I'll hold off on testing the Megaweights till later. Thanks

Now that the 20 Gauge SSX for Win-Choke threads has finally arrived, I'd have to recommend that choke for your Encore with those Federal Heavyweight #7 shot shells.

The Rem-Choke version has been the choke of choice and by word of mouth has really been the hot choke for that shell. When I shot the prototype of the new choke last year, I was very impressed and have been glad that they've finally come it.

Most shooters have reported 150s and 160s in 10" at 40 yards with that choke and shell.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Brian Stewart

My IC 555 came yesterday and I got a chance to shoot it with the Hevi13 #7's and I got 156 in a 10" I'll test the Sumtoy next week and see how it does. I'm going to take this to TN this weekend to see if I can try it out.