OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Question about turkey patterns from year to year...

Started by cornfedkiller, March 25, 2012, 11:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornfedkiller

Do turkeys generally travel and strut in the same areas year after year?

Reason I ask- on one of the properties I hunt, while hunting last year, I would glass birds across the property strutting and walking around on this same hillside almost every day (while I was set up in another location) - its a cattle pasture with short grass, and there is woods on each side of it - probably 150 yards between the two pieces of timber.

This place is out of state, and I only have two or three days to hunt it, so scouting a bunch isnt really possible. Im just curious if when I go back this next spring, is it a safe bet that they will be hanging out on that same hillside again??

Also, is the earlier spring going to mess this up if I am hunting there the same weekend as last year, or should the toms still be using that same area?

DMP

Generally they will use the same areas unless something with the land changes.  Ex: our place has changed each year the last 6 years due to logging on and around our property.

cornfedkiller

Quote from: DMP on March 25, 2012, 12:20:27 PM
Generally they will use the same areas unless something with the land changes.  Ex: our place has changed each year the last 6 years due to logging on and around our property.

Sweet..Nothing has changed on the land - a large cattle pasture, with a creek that runs through the center, and then smaller tributary creeks that feed into it, and woods along the creeks.

Frankinthelaurels

Without question...I have a few places here in PA that throughout the year you rarely ever see a turkey..once mid-march rolls around they are polluted with turkey...So I'd agree with the above statement. Same thing with seeing them in certain fields and openings... Also power lines are a big big attractants in the spring as are gas wells and right of ways.