Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Here is my plan, what would you do?

Started by wisconsinteacher, March 25, 2012, 10:20:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

I have 2 farms that each has a flock of birds.  Farm #1 today and yesterday the flock came to the same field, same spot and feed for 2 hours.  There were 4 toms, 4 jakes, and 6-8 hens.  My buddy has seen them there for the last few days also.  He drives by it on the way to work so he can watch them for the week and keep me posted.  Farm #2 has 5 toms and some hens.  They have not been in the same spot like farm #1, but they are always in the same 1/2 mile area.  My plan is to get set up in the field at farm #1 early next weekend with a Jake Moble and 2 hens.  My plan is to set the decoys close to the blind and have the blind, rigth where we have been seeing them.  I don't know how much I will call.  I guess I will wait and see what the hens are doing.  After a while if we don't have anything, we will go to farm #2 and start walking. 

Just picking your brains, but does this sound like the correct way to approach this situation?

jakebird

Knowing where birds go to feed and strut each morning is more important at this stage than anything else. Sounds like a solid game plan. Anytime you are hunting henned up birds, you are better off being in the right spot and letting them come to you. Its not always as exciting as finding a lonely tom and firing him up, but it's deadly nonetheless. Good luck, your plan should put you in the driver's seat. Chances are the boss will come over to give jr a whoopin at some point when he sees him with the girls.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?