turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Coyotes & Turkey Hunting

Started by open door, March 24, 2012, 08:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

open door

It happened again today, opening day - huge coyote comes in to my hen decoy. Smelled me & ran - I shot & missed, lol. This has happened a lot with me - anyone else have this happen?

mightyjoeyoung

Sounds like you need to start ACTIVELY hunting those yotes....and start setting up DOWNWIND of your decoy from now on?   :OGturkeyhead:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

cannonball

open door

3 years ago I killed a female coyote coming to my calling - I say her before she saw me - got a face full of #6's at 25 yards. The mice gots lots of calcium to chew on.  I didn't hear any gobbling this a.m., but the peak is about a week away, I think, for this area. We kill most of our birds the first week of April.

30_06

I shot one coming into my calling a year or so back. Got him with Hevi-13 #6's, didn't even flinch just took a nose dive.

BOFF

Quote from: open door on March 24, 2012, 08:23:13 PM
It happened again today, opening day - huge coyote comes in to my hen decoy. Smelled me & ran - I shot & missed, lol. This has happened a lot with me - anyone else have this happen?

Absolutely,

Dekes are up the hill in the red circle.

God Bless,
David B.

open door

Glad you got yours. Coyotes are smart & won't come to a predator call after being shot at - turkey calling with a decoy might be the answer to that, lol.

FttFttVroom!

Rolled a coyote last year at 22 steps with WinXRHD 6's.  He thought he'd take a bite outta my hen deke and got a mouthfull of 6's intead.

redleg06

I had a strange urge to tell you to "mark your territory" on your decoy but I decided better of it in case you took me seriously...

Coyotes learn faster than most other animals.

Shooting them (or at least at them) on site encourages them to be extra cautious when approaching ANYTHING that has my scent on it.  On our hunting clubs in west Tx, we were pretty dang hard on the yotes and they seemed to pretty well keep their distance, even though there were plenty around.

open door

Quote from: redleg06 on March 25, 2012, 11:32:09 PM
I had a strange urge to tell you to "mark your territory" on your decoy but I decided better of it in case you took me seriously...

Coyotes learn faster than most other animals.

Shooting them (or at least at them) on site encourages them to be extra cautious when approaching ANYTHING that has my scent on it.  On our hunting clubs in west Tx, we were pretty dang hard on the yotes and they seemed to pretty well keep their distance, even though there were plenty around.
Yeah, lol, I get that same urge after a thermos of coffee & about 2 hours of not hearing a gobble. Seriously, I've had several encounters with coyotes while turkey hunting - we have a lot here - I killed one with a predator call & they got wise. I might try again after turkey season is over. I don't worry about them attacking me, it's that they run the turkeys off - found where one (or some other critter) killed a turkey awhile back. Truthfully, I don't see how turkeys survive around here with all the wild hogs eating their eggs, raccoons, possums, fireants/hawks/owls to kill the chicks, fox, bobcats and coyotes. They have a LOT to contend with, besides us.

Nick_The_Tinkerer

this happened to me once - and I thought I was UNIQUE!!!!

Sheesh

Ross R

I had one come in saturday morning. He was hangin low in the grass following a calf that was nursing. I did some soft yelping and he started on over towards the decoy. I let him come in to about 40 and let him have it right in the face. He was coming straight towards me.  He rolled pretty good and was on the ground for a little... he got up as soon as I took my eye off of him. He was a little far out and didnt shoot again.  I know I hit him pretty good.   How much damage does #6 shot usually do to them?

open door

Quote from: Ross R on March 26, 2012, 05:20:39 PM
I had one come in saturday morning. He was hangin low in the grass following a calf that was nursing. I did some soft yelping and he started on over towards the decoy. I let him come in to about 40 and let him have it right in the face. He was coming straight towards me.  He rolled pretty good and was on the ground for a little... he got up as soon as I took my eye off of him. He was a little far out and didnt shoot again.  I know I hit him pretty good.   How much damage does #6 shot usually do to them?

Depends upon the pattern your gun throws at 40 yds. Since he was on the ground for a little - I'm guesing he will die in a thicket somewhere.

Kywoodsman

Yah, coyotes really can put a dampener on things. I was hunting with a buddy of mine last year and we were set up on a field that the birds usually fly down to. There were several toms gobbling their heads off and a coyote came across the field right at flydown time. Unfortunately he never came close enough for a shot. After that we didn't hear a gobble or see a bird.

open door

Quote from: Kywoodsman on March 26, 2012, 10:31:10 PM
Yah, coyotes really can put a dampener on things. I was hunting with a buddy of mine last year and we were set up on a field that the birds usually fly down to. There were several toms gobbling their heads off and a coyote came across the field right at flydown time. Unfortunately he never came close enough for a shot. After that we didn't hear a gobble or see a bird.
A few years ago my son and I were hunting and 3 coyotes ran at our decoy and were gone in a flash - then started yapping - we were working a gobbler, and when he heard the coyotes, that was it. Believe it or not, we got up, took our decoy about 150 yards and set up again, and the coyotes came in again but not close enough for a shot. I guess they were ykoung ones - I went back after the season closed with buckshot & a predator call & killed one of them. I'm sure they get several of our turkeys.