OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi Duck in the 20 gauge?

Started by mightyjoeyoung, March 24, 2012, 12:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyjoeyoung

Has anybody tried the hevi duck 6's in their 20s yet?  I see a 10 round box of the buffered, 1250 fps loads  goes for around $23.00 and 2, 5 round boxes of the slower, 1090 fps turkey loads is around $32.00.  Anybody have any luck or patterns from them?  While I don't think the larger pellet, (2 shot and larger)  fast (1450 fps), light payloads in the 12 gauge would work well through turkey chokes, these 20 gauge loads seem like they'd be alright and they go small enough to get decent patterns.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

R AJ

They seem to like the tighter patterning chokes such as 550-555. I believe that they may be constructed with a different wad, buffering may not exist an dthey don't seem to pattern as tightly as the H-13s.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: RAJ on March 24, 2012, 08:07:42 PM
They seem to like the tighter patterning chokes such as 550-555. I believe that they may be constructed with a different wad, buffering may not exist an dthey don't seem to pattern as tightly as the H-13s.

That's just it though.  Unlike the Wingmaster HD stuff, these are buffered loads.  as far as the wad, I would assume that like most of the other "high velocity" waterfowl loads, the wad is somewhat stiffer than the slower stuff.  I just bought 40 rounds of the straight hevi 6s for an excellent price in the same great performing lot #s I got last spring so, I'm not sure I want to pull the trigger on these without at least one member having at least tried them you know?
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

R AJ

You know I just realized that you have hevi # 6s. I was thinking of the old hevi-shot 20 gauge 7.5s that caused a big stir a few years ago. Sorry about that.