News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

tactics for newbie

Started by firstimer, March 24, 2012, 08:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstimer

Firstimer here,

I will be hunting public land and will not have an opportunity to roost birds the night before.  So, I have scouted the land and have found a few promising spots.  But since I am new to this, I cant tell just how good they might be.  

If you were in my shoes, what would be the best tactics to try once I settle in before daylight?    Calling in the dark (owlor turkey), or wait until sunrise.  Then, if nothing pans out, how long should I wait until I try another location?  

Unfortunately, I have never hunted turkey before, so your advice is not only welcome, but needed!  Every little bit helps.  Thanks

Turkey Beard

I'd give the turkeys time to wake up and call on their own but if you start hearing crows I believe it's getting to be time that they SHOULD be gobbling.  At this point I'd consider owling or crowing at them.  If there's still no gobbling going on I'd stay put in your areas that are likely rather than busting through the woods, potentially spooking silent birds.  After the mid-morning lull, when the hens go to nest, the toms may start sounding off and you can get after them.  Obviously, if you DO hear gobbling, either early or late, you can get after them as per normal... or whatever passes for "normal" in the turkey woods.
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

gunnerj

Scout as much as you can. Make notes of where you see birds and where they are going. Find where they like to roost (this maybe several different places on the same property, but they generally go off the same way every day).  Knowing your ground is the key.
If you have a good idea where they are, stay silent until they fire up. If it's say 1/2 hour after good light, then try to shock them with a locater. Last resort is to hen call for a locater. If you hen call, have a tree close that you can set up in front of. If he gobbles close, get set up in front of the tree, get your gun up, and forget calling anymore.
Now if you have not heard or seen anything for an hour to 2 after shooting time, I know I'd be moving on.
My 2 pence.  :anim_25:

hotrod49er

Not trying to be a smartie or anything, but I have three words of advice and they are in no particular order.   Location, Location, Location.

Grant Flaming

Quote from: hotrod49er on March 24, 2012, 03:11:48 PM
Not trying to be a smartie or anything, but I have three words of advice and they are in no particular order.   Location, Location, Location.

sooo true. also, if you haven't already, just spend some time looking at the area you want to hunt on google maps. I do this all the time go through different situations that could occur.

Good luck and welcome to OG

-Grant

FttFttVroom!

One big tip on public land, the less you can call to a tom and make him gobble, the better......cuz you aren't gonna be the only one to hear him most likely.  Call sparingly and BE EXTREMELY PATIENT are the best two tips I can give you for public land turkeys.

marshlander

I'm like you a new be this is my first year but i have found that getting out there at the crack of dawn and just using your binoculars is a big help  just sit down and glass  i have found out a lot of good info on the turkey in the area i plan to hunt by doing this

FloppinTom

You need to get out and listen for gobblin before the season is in, I listen at different places before work some mornings. I may owl or crow call but I dont call to them (yelp). If you find some birds on public ground let themgobble on their own and get to them quick and set up close. The less you call to them the less they will gobble and alert other hunters to their location. I dont want to get them going too early and have every hunter on the WMA moving in on him.  I call only enough to be sure theyve heard me and then I wait them out. Good luck!   
Go early, stay late, be patient and sit still.

jakebird

Also, dont let public land intimidate you, if thats where you have to hunt, or choose to, you can still find incredible hunting. Often you can find uncrowded spots and sometimes they arent even remote. I occasionally hunt an easy access piece near a major city, and you would assume it would get pounded, yet ive only ever seen a very few guys there. One year my buddy hunted it opening day and was all alone and tagged a nice bird. I went back the next week and shot one, again, all alone there and even went back and called another for a friend the third week and finally saw one other guy. We were fifteen mins from the state capital at a spot we could hear them gobble from the road, and all alone on public land. Keep that positive attitude and u will find success. If u cant escape the pressure, just be persistent and keep in mind that most guys give up early. Stay longer and hunt harder than them.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

Lenny870

:agreed:
Quote from: FttFttVroom! on March 25, 2012, 05:29:22 PM
One big tip on public land, the less you can call to a tom and make him gobble, the better......cuz you aren't gonna be the only one to hear him most likely.  Call sparingly and BE EXTREMELY PATIENT are the best two tips I can give you for public land turkeys.

firstimer

hey John Doe,

Good suggestion, I updated my profile.  I am from Northern Virginia, and spend my time hunting in Frederick MD, and Hardy County, WV.  I would be happy to hear from anyone in these areas that would help me out for my first season.  Thanks!

Stout33

I will be hunting in Frederick MD too, this is my first season as well, small world. I have only scouted Frederick 1 time but had no luck hearing gobbles. I am going back there early Saturday morning to see if I can get any gobbles in the roost. I go to college close but I don't have too much time to scout; I am trying my best to bag a turkey this year!
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -Winston Churchill

hotrod49er

Just get out and learn from mistakes. and just be patient. When u think u should move wait another 20 minutes.