turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

ever have this happen

Started by marshlander, March 23, 2012, 12:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshlander

so i went out this morning to see if i could  find where this flock of turkeys i've been watch is roosting I've been seeing them in a field in a wma on my way to work and i have seen some nice birds there. theres plenty of sign in the field dusting marks tracks but i couldn't find the roost well i get out there at first light i was there not even a second i hear a gobble then another then another i sat there going what the heck there coming from behind me i turn around there roosting across the street in posted land damn it i said i hope they come to my calls on opening day or i guess it's going to be a waiting game to see if the gobblers show i don't see them there everyday hopefully ill get lucky they have to come a long way to get to me but they were gobbling up a storm this morning  so i dunno

okiegobblers

Just this morning I was out scouting a WMA and saw 2 nice birds in a field about 150 yds away on private land. All that stood between us was a barbed wire fence. Sure hope I can work over to my side opening day!

jblackburn

Sounds like the wma field will be a good spot. It sounds like a spot they birds feel comfortable.  If there are dusting areas, they are probably not using the field until later in the morning.  I think I would get set up in that field in the late morning with a couple hen decoys and maybe a jake.  Call sparingly because the gobblers will probably sneak in unless they are fired up.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

redleg06

Unless you plan on shooting them off their roost then who cares?

You've found sign in an area you CAN hunt and it tells you they are using it at somepoint. Finding the roost is only important to tell you where to start your hunt in some cases but knowing the area's they use when they are off the roost (when you can actually kill them) is just as good or better. If you've seen them in this particular field when you are going to and from work then you even know what TIME they usually use the field...thats much more valuable IMO, than knowing where they sleep. Set up in said field, at the times you normally see them, and wait for the magic to happen! 

Can you say for certain that those are the only birds in the area or that they dont occassionaly roost in the area you scouted?

gunnerj

Those birds won't change their routine unless something(generally human) makes them. Like Redleg sez, go set up and hunt them there. If it was me, I'd be out there in the dark and wait them out. Not much calling needed if they are already coming over.  :anim_25:

FttFttVroom!

One of my best spots is a small 80 acre "honey hole" I hunt between two larger tracts.  They roost along a creek bottom in tall cottonwoods on one place and cross though mine to feed on the other.  I catch them in the early morning and late afternoons as they travel back and forth.  Not the best habitat, but it's a well used travel route and the only spot I could get the go ahead on.

marshlander

thanks everyone for your replay's i went and sat in the field this morning they started gobbling as soon as i got set up in the brush blind i made  they came flying in right off the roost started heading my way i set up on a choke point theres a hedgerow  that cuts the field in half i set up in the opening between the two fields  jackpot ! a group of hens passed by first then a group of toms and Jake's came staggering along i did see a nice 8or9 in long beard they all passed at 15 or 20 yards form my spot i gotta clean out some shooting lanes but i think I'm gonna have a good season

jakebird

sounds like u have a solid game plan, just be aware of possible other hunters there on opening day, esp since you can see them from the road, u have to assume other guys have taken notice, too. Good luck!
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

marshlander

thanks yeah i thought about that  i mite get lucky turkey  hunting in my area is not very popular for some reason out of 580 permits for my county only 160 were actually bought so I'm hoping  not to run into the other 158 permit holders