OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Concerned in MN

Started by TurkeyTime, March 22, 2012, 10:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurkeyTime

So for the first time since I have started hunting (11 years) my father and I both got drawn for the first MN season (4/18-4/22).  I was very excited when I found out, but with this unseasonably warm spring I am getting less excited.  I am looking for input on how much the weather effects the flock break up and the switch to breeding "mode".  Normally this time of the year there is still snow on the ground and we are still ice fishing.  Currently we are sitting at 58 degrees (9 AM) and we have no snow and probably no frost left in the ground.  I have heard that it is a combination of weather and the amount of day light that triggers the switch.  I am still concerned that this warm weather might put my season right in the middle of the breeding cycle when the gobblers are henned up.  Don't get me wrong I am still excited but was hoping for an easier hunt this year after the last 4, which have been brutal.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

TurkeyTime

Fat_46

Sounds like you have a good plan, you have your approaches covered.  The one thing you could try (I personally have not tried it but my cousin swears by it) is to set up several hen (at least 3) decoys and call with several different call.  He said he has brought many a hen to him and often times with a gobbler in hot pursuit.  I am thinkg about trying the system this year.

mnbirdbuster

The winter flocks have probably broke up in many areas! This means nothing really! The photo period is what gets the hens in the mood, the birds are already gobbling in my neck of the woods! I cant hunt till may, and eventhough the woods may be greener than normal im not worried figuring there will be hens on the nest, hens being bred, and gobblers still gobbling! Nature wrote the book on when young of the year are to come into this world! Turkeys arent hatched until june/july, been that way forever! They were to hatch much earlier they wouldnt have any food and very few would make it! Kinda like when its a really cold october and people think the rut starts early , its just not so! If i were to give any advice it would be to go about things as normal, theres going to be no opening day magic bullet! If there were id like to know cuz ive hunted many a MN opener and its a lil different every year it seems! Good luck, shoot straight, and bring the bugspray  :toothy12:

TurkeyTime

mnbirdbuster

Yeah I think this will be only the second time I will have to use bug spray, and I have hunted late seasons in WI for the last 4 years.  Thanks for the calming words.  Guess I will work with what I am given.