turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pure Gold Tempest...

Started by mossyoakpro, March 21, 2012, 04:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mossyoakpro

I have a friend who serves on the prostaff for Pure Gold and he sent me a Tempest 570 to try....does anyone have any experience with this choke with the Fed HW #7's?

Their website said the 550 was more compatible???
Phillippians 4:13

gotcha

I use that set up in a Hand R pardner,impressive on paper and turkey heads.

savduck

I shot a 555 tempest winchoke the other day in my weatherby. It didnt do to well, like a 101 in 10. I shot the 570 ported version and it put up a 110 in 10 with 20 ga Fed 7s. I had borrowed those two but had a 570 tempest on order. It got here yesterday, gonna try to shoot it one evening or this weekend and will let you know how it does. Im gonna try to get hold of some HW 6s. Bet it would be a little tighter shooting with the 6s.

Georgia Boy

savduck

Quote from: Spuriosity on March 21, 2012, 08:58:01 PM
Quote from: savduck on March 21, 2012, 06:00:38 PM
I shot a 555 tempest winchoke the other day in my weatherby. It didnt do to well, like a 101 in 10. I shot the 570 ported version and it put up a 110 in 10 with 20 ga Fed 7s. I had borrowed those two but had a 570 tempest on order. It got here yesterday, gonna try to shoot it one evening or this weekend and will let you know how it does. Im gonna try to get hold of some HW 6s. Bet it would be a little tighter shooting with the 6s.

Do what you want about the HW 6s. I can understand about trying to tighten up, but those 6s have a huge, huge surplus of energy/penetration at the expense of pattern density. The 7s will kill way further than the pattern will hold together.

I hunt a piece of property that is 4,5,6 only. Everywhere else Im running with the 7s.
Georgia Boy

turkeytromp

Quote from: mossyoakpro on March 21, 2012, 04:13:43 PM
I have a friend who serves on the prostaff for Pure Gold and he sent me a Tempest 570 to try....does anyone have any experience with this choke with the Fed HW #7's?

Mossy, For what it's worth.....my secondary/ backup turkey gun is a franchi 720 20ga. auto with 26" barrel, I purchased both the .555 and the .570 pure gold tempest chokes. I'm getting great patterns in the 140's-150's in a 10" from the .555 using the fed heavyweight #7's.
The 570 choke is getting me a more spread out pattern 120-130's in the 10" circle at 40 yds in which is what I will be using this season due to the early foliage so I would suspect to bring in old tom a little closer in range hunting the thicker hardwoods. If I know i'm going to be hunting the fields or more open areas I screw in the .555 for more long range tighter pattern. I love the pure gold tempest chokes for my 20ga.

mossyoakpro

Quote from: turkeytromp on March 25, 2012, 09:50:30 AM
Quote from: mossyoakpro on March 21, 2012, 04:13:43 PM

Mossy, For what it's worth.....my secondary/ backup turkey gun is a franchi 720 20ga. auto with 26" barrel, I purchased both the .555 and the .570 pure gold tempest chokes. I'm getting great patterns in the 140's-150's in a 10" from the .555 using the fed heavyweight #7's.
The 570 choke is getting me a more spread out pattern 120-130's in the 10" circle at 40 yds in which is what I will be using this season due to the early foliage so I would suspect to bring in old tom a little closer in range hunting the thicker hardwoods. If I know i'm going to be hunting the fields or more open areas I screw in the .555 for more long range tighter pattern. I love the pure gold tempest chokes for my 20ga.

Thanks,

When I get my gun back from Gobbler Guns I am gonna give it a try and see what it will do.

Thanks for the info!!
Phillippians 4:13