OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Therma Cells

Started by Big Willie, March 18, 2012, 10:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke0002

Quote from: MrB0000M on March 18, 2012, 08:57:34 PM
how much for the refills...?

4 pack of refills is about $20.  Might be cheaper at Wally Mart or a similar discount store.

swamp_bird89

I always have mine, you can refill the butane's yourself. I always end up having more pads then butane.

tomtamer25

I don't go without one

Number17

I don't have one because I use a homebrew Permethrine spray that I mix up myself.
The only beef I have with Thermacells is that essentially you are surrounding yourself in a plume of poisonous insecticide. It lands on you skin, in your eyes, and get inhaled with every breath.
It is exactly the same concept as taking a can of RAID insect killer and spraying a continuous fine mist of poison on yourself. Allethrin used in Thermacells is listed as a moderately accute toxin in humans, and is a suspected endocrine disruptor.

"Endocrine disruptors are chemicals that interfere with endocrine (or hormone system) in animals, including humans. These disruptions can cause cancerous tumors, birth defects, and other developmental disorders. Specifically, they are known to cause learning disabilities, severe attention deficit disorder, cognitive and brain development problems, deformations of the body (including limbs); sexual development problems, feminizing of males or masculine effects on females, etc. Any system in the body controlled by hormones, can be derailed by hormone disruptors."

I have a feeling that in a few years we are going to see a class action lawsuit against companies selling these types of products because it's going to be proven that they cause cancers and disorders.

I use permethrin, sprayed on my clothes and left to dry. Permethrin is a synthetic pyrethrin like allethrin is. The dried permethrin repels and kills ticks, flys, gnats, and mosquitoes. It costs me about 25 cents to treat a full outfit for 4 weeks.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Half fast

Quote from: Number17 on March 19, 2012, 07:43:43 AM
I don't have one because I use a homebrew Permethrine spray that I mix up myself.
The only beef I have with Thermacells is that essentially you are surrounding yourself in a plume of poisonous insecticide. It lands on you skin, in your eyes, and get inhaled with every breath.
It is exactly the same concept as taking a can of RAID insect killer and spraying a continuous fine mist of poison on yourself. Allethrin used in Thermacells is listed as a moderately accute toxin in humans, and is a suspected endocrine disruptor.

"Endocrine disruptors are chemicals that interfere with endocrine (or hormone system) in animals, including humans. These disruptions can cause cancerous tumors, birth defects, and other developmental disorders. Specifically, they are known to cause learning disabilities, severe attention deficit disorder, cognitive and brain development problems, deformations of the body (including limbs); sexual development problems, feminizing of males or masculine effects on females, etc. Any system in the body controlled by hormones, can be derailed by hormone disruptors."

I have a feeling that in a few years we are going to see a class action lawsuit against companies selling these types of products because it's going to be proven that they cause cancers and disorders.

I use permethrin, sprayed on my clothes and left to dry. Permethrin is a synthetic pyrethrin like allethrin is. The dried permethrin repels and kills ticks, flys, gnats, and mosquitoes. It costs me about 25 cents to treat a full outfit for 4 weeks.
do you care to share your recipe..... thanks

Number17

Go to Lowes or Home Depot in the lawn and garden section and pick up a bottle of Cutter Bug Free Backyard spray.  Make sure the spray contains permethrin as the active ingredient in 2.5% concentration.
Mix this 4:1 with water in a spray bottle and saturate your clothes with the solution. When your clothes are dry you will be protected for at least a month of use, even through a couple of washings.
Permethrin is used extensively by the military to treat clothing, tents, and sleeping bags to protect against insects. It is used by farmers to protect cattle, horses, and swine from pests. It is the same ingredient used by Frontline in their dog formula.
I spray it directly on my dogs rather than paying the premium for Frontline.
You can find it extremely cheap at Farm supply stores in higher concentrations too. You just want to use around a .5% solution for our purpose.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

J-Shaped

One of the few hunting gadgets to come onto the market in the last several years that actually works. Don't leave home without it.

Jake#5

They work great, cut it on and the Mosquitos leave in seconds

OLE RASPY

Quote from: Number17 on March 19, 2012, 10:08:28 PM
Go to Lowes or Home Depot in the lawn and garden section and pick up a bottle of Cutter Bug Free Backyard spray.  Make sure the spray contains permethrin as the active ingredient in 2.5% concentration.
Mix this 4:1 with water in a spray bottle and saturate your clothes with the solution. When your clothes are dry you will be protected for at least a month of use, even through a couple of washings.
Permethrin is used extensively by the military to treat clothing, tents, and sleeping bags to protect against insects. It is used by farmers to protect cattle, horses, and swine from pests. It is the same ingredient used by Frontline in their dog formula.
You can find it extremely cheap at Farm supply stores in higher concentrations too. You just want to use around a .5% solution for our purpose.
Thanks for the info appreciate it.I was thinking like you when i bought my thermacell even though it does work i was also breathing it in to and i thought that wasnt very good to be breathing it. :icon_thumright:

Number17

Permethrin is virtually non-toxic to humans and no systemic effects have been reported. In EPA and FDA tests, it was uncommon to have any skin reddening, rash or other irritation. When used as a repellent, permethrin is applied to exterior clothing where it dries and bonds to the cloth fiber. This water-based formula is non-staining, odorless and has exceptional resistance to degradation by sunlight (UV), heat and water. Although permethrin is approved for skin application under certain circumstances such as head lice formulas, it is not applied to skin as a repellent. Permethrin does not bond to skin (stick) and is quickly deactivated by skin's esterase action into inactive compounds. Because of these attributes permethrin offers no repellent benefit on skin. It is only effective when used as a clothing treatment.  Deactivation of permethrin on skin occurs in approximately 20 minutes,  When placed on clothing it will last 2 to 6 weeks (even up to 1 year with special application) and will even last through weekly launderings.  With the long history of success permethrin has achieved, it is best not to second guess these extraordinary results.  By following the directions provided on the product you can be assured of results that achieve protection at or near 100%. Any variation of instructions that indicate using less permethrin on clothing will result in diminished performance. Follow the direction exactly and you will be amazed at the performance of this product.

Permethrin Mosquito Tests: The early history of permethrin development involved tests on mosquitoes conducted by the US Army and Air Force. Tests showed that when lightweight uniforms were treated until moist (approximately 3 ounces) the permethrin alone (0. 5% solution) gave 97.7% protection from mosquitoes and 99.9% protection when used in combination with deet (33% solution). Two detergent washings did not diminish mosquito repellent and killing action of permethrin-treated uniforms.

An interesting side note: The effectiveness of permethrin can be shown in the following report highlight that was reported in a very matter of fact statement. During testing in the Everglades, "Mosquitoes were also repelled because of the side-stream effect caused by numerous treated uniforms within the same general location. This required that the test site be moved to locate more mosquitoes!" Now that's performance . . .

Permethrin Tick Tests: Test on ticks conducted in Massachusetts concluded that 100% protection was provided against the Deer tick (Ixodes Scapularis) which is the primary vector of Lyme disease in the Midwest and Northeast. The same outstanding results occurred when testing the Western Black Legged tick, Lone Star tick, American Dog tick and Brown Dog tick. Similar results have been found with other tick species throughout the United States and Europe. Two detergent washings did not diminish repellent killing action of permethrin-treated uniforms. In tests, ticks that crossed only 10 inches of treated fabric fell from the uniform, later dying due to this limited exposure.

Note: Military application of permethrin (Permethrin Arthropod Repellent) varies from civilian application in that 4.5 ounces are applied to the uniform and the remaining contents of the 6 ounce container used to treat mosquito netting.  The difference in application also results in increased protection.  It is specified that "reapply after six weeks and sixth laundering."  The additional 1.5 ounces doubled the 2 to 3 week protection realized from the civilian application of 3 ounces.  Full protection is realized by use of permethrin AND application of standard issue repellent approved for skin application (3M Ultrathon)
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

unclerick

They are absolutly worth the money, they work quick and last about 6hrs on the fuel, I change the pads more often but you don't need to. You don't have to use it just for turkey hunting, good for anywhere, anytime for anything were skeeters and other flying insects are at.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

Half fast

Quote from: Number17 on March 19, 2012, 10:08:28 PM
You can find it extremely cheap at Farm supply stores in higher concentrations too. You just want to use around a .5% solution for our purpose.Thank you much :smiley-char092:

jyoung

Cuz... Other than my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, it is my saving grace for the spring turkey woods where I hunt.  I had the girlfriend stop by Academy for me the other day and I told her to buy all of the refills they had!  The skeeters are the worst I have ever seen this year were I hunt! 
:OGturkeyhead:

Jonathan
Jonathan Young

dadsahuntin

If I was an hour away from home and realized that I forgot it I would turn around or stop and buy another one. Also, while out scouting 2days before opening my son let it slip in the creek while fishing a bit. I shook out the water let it dry a bit put in new refills and I was amazed that it actually still worked. Used it twice since then.
All the other crap I inhale I will take my chances with it....Better that than mosquito born illness.
Sit and Wait?......Run and Gun?.....Box Call?....Slate Call?....Diaphram?.....Camo Pattern?.....Blind no Blind?....This gun that gun?....No 4,5,6?...Right answers gets you:Which one has the bigger beard?!!!!

kdavis31

I do not carry one.  Mosquitoes refuse to bite, purely out of respect.... :TooFunny: