turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20ga Federal 3" HW 7's--870---SSX

Started by darron, March 17, 2012, 03:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darron

lasered 40 yards----200 hits in a 10" circle :z-winnersmiley: Beats the 150's the hevi shot was throwing

chipper

savduck

Dang, thats pretty strong. Mine is averaging in the low 140s with fed 7s at 40.
Georgia Boy

Fullfan

Nice work, you guys are costing me a bunch of money and I wish you all would stop posting this stuff.... lol :z-winnersmiley:
Don't gobble at me...

darron

I thought the hevishot 7's shot well until I tried the fed HW 7's. I looked at my #'s last year and I was getting 156 with hevi-13 7's and today I put up 200. an extra 44 pellets in a 10" circle. I'll take it!

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Woodsman4God

goblr77

Quote from: savduck on March 17, 2012, 05:31:17 PM
Dang, thats pretty strong. Mine is averaging in the low 140s with fed 7s at 40.

That's all mine is putting up. Good enough to do the job though.

st8tman

Just finished my son's 1187 Compact (20) yesterday with the SSX and Federal HW 7's. Averaged 140's over 6 shots.(Thanks, CLARK) Good even pattern. Plenty tight for him, as the 20" was well defined as well. Much, Much better than Rem X Full(.570) or Trulock .585 in my gun. Boy do those HV's pack a punch downrange...felt like a 2 3/4" 12 Magnum or a low end 3" 12 Mag. Da-Da will probably end up toting on some mornings! Good luck to all this season!

darron

Quote from: slickyboyboo on April 02, 2012, 10:40:03 AM
Darron, what is your average with that gun, will it hold those high numbers consistently over about 10 shots?

Now that I don't know. With the cost of these shells I will never find out. I was shooting hevi 7's and getting in the 140s and 150s with that combo which is a great pattern. However, I caught the HW 7's for a decent price and picked up two boxes. I ran one through my deep cleaned barrel sporting the SSX and you see the pattern.

From what I have read on here the ssx likes to be clean, so if I had to go out on a limb no....it probably wouldn't. However, I clean by gun between hunts so it shouldn't matter.

jkbow

Great Pattern Darron,  I also have a Remington 20 g 870 w a 26" barrel.  The federal Heavyweights have given me fits with every choke and 2 different Barrel lengths.  I had one box of Federal HW 7 that shot 4 patterns in the 160s...and one of the 5 shot an 87 in a 10in circle at a measured 40.  The wad came apart midway to the target on the "87".  I have shot HW 7s out of 8-10 boxes..with atleast 5 different lot #s  I have yet to reach 160 again..mostly 120ish.  That alone concerns me......but it is infact an honest test.  BTW I have tryed this with polished and unpolished 870s....both 26 and 21" barrels.  I have used the following chokes...Sumtoy 562-5, 562-3, Pure Gold Temptest 570, Jellyhead 570, RSF, Undertaker, and the SSX.  The RSF, and SSX shot the 160s from the "good" box.  But again not repeateable for me.  BTW I have chatted with both William and Clarke about these results.....for what thats worth.  Also I run a boresnake thru between shots.  Hope this info helps....good luck hunting.  BTW if it matters my wifes 21 in 870 is producing 170s with the SSX and Hevi 13 - 7s.  I ended up shooting the pure gold 570 and nitro MW 4-5-6-7.