OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

best decoy to use

Started by slicksbeagles1, February 23, 2011, 06:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slicksbeagles1

what brand of decoys do you think is the best and easiest to use for transporting to and from the field :emoticon-cartoon-012:

neal

Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

keyser12ga

Everybody seems to love the DSD decoys, they are a higher price.

I had good luck with a cheap sewn together foam featherflex, they are light and transport easy, but getting them to stay put or stay on the stake in wind is a problem.

bigwayne17

Amishboy

"best decoy to use" is made by DSD  :you_rock:

VaTuRkStOmPeR

im running a Dave Smith Jake and Feeding Hen.

other than a stuffer, i have yet to see any other examples the rival the realism of a DSD.

Crappiepro

I dont know if they are the best but I have 3 carry-lite decoys. A jake and 2 hens. Ive used the for better part of 9 years and they have held up and still have their shape. I did replace the stakes with 2  3/8's hickory dows painted black to look like real legs. I will say "If I hunted out of state or Indiana had a 2 bird spring, I'd own a set of the DS Decoy's

knightrider

what ever you can afford their is a great turkey hunter in my county that uses a 10 dollar hen and a gobbler tail mounted to a STICK and kills his limit, the decoy isnt as important as the setup :z-guntootsmiley:

OLE RASPY

hunter177

I just use a Flambeau foldable, foam hen with a plastic stake. I know there's better decoys out there but I just can't see spending upwards of $60 for a flock of stuffed decoy.
TriStar Viper G2 12 ga.
26" barrel, black synthetic stock
TruGlo Gobble Stopper Extreme .665 choke
Winchester DoubleX, 3", 1125 fps., 2 oz. #5 shot

tjh24

I am not nearly as knowledgeable as others on this site, however i will give a few of my opinions on decoys.  A turkey has the best eyesight of any animal that we hunt.  I think that having a decoy that is realistic is extremely important.  Is it necassary? No, there have been thousands of birds killed with ugly decoys or no decoys at all.  I know where I hunt, I need every advantage I can get.  I have a DSD upright hen that I will be using for this spring.  I looked at a lot of other decoys and decided that the DSD would be best.  I think the only thing that might be better than that would be a stuffer, but its hard to transport them.  Hope some of this helps.

Illinois Tom Hunter

took an old jake decoy and mounted it on a submissive hen and it really makes them close the distance fast

bowhunter84

i wouldnt say that they are the best but i use a jake mobile and she mobile.

tomdown#4

I use a Buckwing Bobbin' Head hen and a Primos Jake Mobile with a real turkey fan. This set up has fooled many gobblers. Personally, I think that the best decoys are ones that make it seem like the birds are acting calm and natural. In other words, a feeding hen and a strutting or half strutting jake or tom is better than the conventional hen or jake that is in the alert postion. If a tom sees a decoy that looks nervous, chances are he will become nervous if he isn't already.

perrysbirds

I bought a brand new "Buckwing Bobble head" also and I am going to try it out for the first time this year.I have a friend who has killed many birds with this decoy!
From what I hear they are being discontinued or something like that as well!
If I aint out shooting deer
Im home drinking beer