turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Historical 20 gauge turkey hunting article

Started by Old Gobbler, March 13, 2012, 10:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Gobbler

Guys , I went and dug up a old article I had posted up before on the old site before the crash - To prove some historical points that people have been using 20 gauges with #7 shot long ,long before people tried to claim being a trendsetter in that area-  

People have been hunting wild turkeys with a 20 and #7 since 1928 , most likely well before that also  ,its no new thing in Florida , in fact growing up in turkey hunting camps I would be schooled and educated on how to call turkeys to point blank range - calling turkeys to close ranges is a art form and a skill of great pride and ability the mark of a skilled turkey hunter  

Some of the Old Florida Crackers I had the honor of hunting with did most their hunting with a .410 !  Some other local hunters killed in a lifetime in excess of 500 turkeys mostly with a 410 and to this day there is a local following of old guys who like a 410  - personally a 410 is not my cup of tee and I soon gravitated towards larger stuff - but it is very interesting to garner

In this letter and picture  it shows locals hunting  Turkeys with a 20 , but instead they killed a Florida Panther , in the right hands a antique 20 gauge is a lethal weapon

hope you enjoy the Article , I love historical documents and letters --Shannon

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Eric Gregg

That is awesome!
Thanks for sharing that little piece of history.

R AJ

Thanks for sharing . I saw that some years ago and very worth reading again.
The 7.5 shot was also popular as a magnum 2 3/4" 12 gauge load for turkeys in this area , especially in a modified choke so that more pellets were in the pattern. You called them close or didn't shoot. Heck in most places you never saw or heard a turkey so you really didn't need to carry a gun for that matter.
Times have changed, equipment is different but the challenge of calling 'em close still remains.

Carp

jkbow

jtg88

That's pretty cool right there but if I was heading out after a cougar, I don't believe I'd be getting the 20 gauge out of the gun cabinet.

earlybird

jkbow

Very interesting read, thanks for sharing!

gobb-lemon

I did enjoy the Article!  Thanks for posting.

Chris