OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

roost sites

Started by Bustabeak, March 13, 2012, 10:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bustabeak

We have a property that is about 500 acres and is full of turkeys. We have a creek that runs through the entire property and right down the center. The land is very hilly. The birds usually roost about 500 to 600 yards from the creek on one of the highest part of the property. From y'alls experience do turkeys tend to roost in the higher points of the land?  Or will it just vary from place to place?

jakebird

Easterns in hilly terrain do seem to like to roost high, esp on points that jut off a main ridge. Its a general rule but ive seen it violated enough times to know that if sufficient trees abound, a turkey will roost wherever the heck he wants to.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

MossbergMike

Is there usually a particular tree that Turkeys like to roost in or it is just whatever they decide?

coyotetrpr

Quote from: MossbergMike on March 14, 2012, 10:13:39 PM
Is there usually a particular tree that Turkeys like to roost in or it is just whatever they decide?
Lots of birds around me roost in sycamore trees.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

Turkey Beard

I've always heard that a turkey's not happier than when he can hear his droppings hit the water.  Obviously this isn't the case on the original post here, and our turkeys roost all over the farm as well, but it always seems that there's 3-4 right over the river.
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

Hootowl

Not to Hijack your thread but do Turkeys Roost in different trees or even different woods on different days?I hunt a Small woods about 60 acers, but there are Bigger woods close by, I just dont have Permission to Hunt.

open door

Quote from: Hootowl on March 21, 2012, 11:18:28 PM
Not to Hijack your thread but do Turkeys Roost in different trees or even different woods on different days?I hunt a Small woods about 60 acers, but there are Bigger woods close by, I just dont have Permission to Hunt.
Hoot, I have a similar problem on my 40 acres. As you know, turkeys move around, and when they come on my property, they're there usually for only a week or so, and move on. They may roose in the same trees/area for a day or 2, then move on a few hundred yards the next. At least that's my experience. When they're on the other property, you can still try to call them to yours, lol.

PANYHunter

My experience has been that they roost on ridges and higher places. Seems like they roost in the same general area but not the same trees every night

gunnerj

I think some of it depends on weather. Where they ended the last day. What time of day they've flown up. There is a whole lot of variables from hens to humans to change their routines. And, unless there is only one tree to roost in, I'm not so sure that they change trees from night to night. I have witnessed them changing roost locations in the dark. And, yes, changing trees.

FttFttVroom!

They typically roost in locust and elm groves on sand ridges and hills out here.  The few cottonwoods lucky to find enough water to grow big enough will also make favorable roost sites.  The only water out in my spots are ephemeral water sources such as drainages and playa lakes.  Permanent water is usually a stock stank....and I've never seen a bird roost on a windmill.