OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need advice on 20g.870 choke/shell combos....

Started by 1iagobblergetter, March 12, 2012, 10:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1iagobblergetter

Im needing some advice on finding a good choke and shell combo starting point for a 20g 870 compact. I have 3 chokes in mind. rem super full(do they make a heavier than lead version or does everyone use the lead version?) Sumtoy, Hastings, does anyone have a good place to find these? Im looking at Fed Heavyweight #7s, or Heavyshot #7. I havent decided which of these to go with,just looking for some input before ordering so hopefully I dont end up with a shell and choke collection I dont need.

southernfly

mine patterns the hvy 13 #7 better out of the 2 loads you mentioned. After trying half a dozen chokes I chose the  jellyhead as it patterned pretty much every load better than the others. good luck

surehuntsalot

I just picked up a Primo's TightWad choke today,found out it really likes the MagBlends in my 870
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

thundrchikin

deacon

Truglo SSX .550 and federal HW 7s out of my youth model. 188 in 10"@40.

IC .555 magblends did 145.

Philippe

My 26" gun really likes the Fed Heavyweight 6's with the Remington super full that is rated for hevi shot.

sugarray

Quote from: deacon on March 12, 2012, 10:38:08 PM
Truglo SSX .550 and federal HW 7s out of my youth model. 188 in 10"@40.

IC .555 magblends did 145.

This is where I'd go.  I shoot TSS handloads, but the HW patterned better than the Hevi for me.  I shoot a Hastings .562.  If I was going to change it'd be to either the SSX .550 or a .555 PG and see which gave me the best patterns with HW #7.

goblr77

Sumtoy .562 with Fed HW 7's. Hevi 7's gave me better numbers out of every choke I tried but not by much. I decided to give up 15 or so pellets for the additional energy the Feds have. A pattern in the 140-150 range looks about right to me from these loads. Anything more than that and you better hope the bird's head doesn't move while you're pulling the trigger. I put up some patterns in the patterning section this morning.

BOSS HOGG LOU

Last year I got my 870 patterned but never got to use it. I used the Rem Super Full HTL choke and Federal FC HW #7's from Dunns. That combo patterned very well. If I don't get my Mossy 535 patterning good enough I will be using the 870 20ga
If Silence Is Golden, Why is Duct Tape Silver?