turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many......

Started by Gobbling Buck, February 23, 2011, 02:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobbling Buck

What are the most individual birds you've ever heard gobble from one location?

Some will think I'm stretching the truth, but I heard right at 30 different birds sound off from one location in the same morning.  Only once and I didn't even know there were that many birds on the property.  The timber company that owned the land was spraying BASF on the planted pine seedling to control the broadleaf plants.....and every time the helicopter would bank to make another pass, the birds would hammer.  The chopping sound of the helo made them crazy that morning.  I hung in there because I had 3 long beards interrested in my calls and thought they were coming in.  Then the pilot needed to refill the herbicide and landed in a green field behind the birds and I don't know where they went after that.  I really can't make this stuff up either. ::)

Jay

Not from a state with a lot of woods to hold that many Birds, the most I ever heard was around 18, and that was from a youth camp that hunting wasn't allowed. Them birds would never leave that area either to the Public next door. I finally gave up trying to coax them my direction.

FireFly908

Quote from: Gobbling Buck on February 23, 2011, 02:27:09 AM
What are the most individual birds you've ever heard gobble from one location?

Some will think I'm stretching the truth, but I heard right at 30 different birds sound off from one location in the same morning.  Only once and I didn't even know there were that many birds on the property.  The timber company that owned the land was spraying BASF on the planted pine seedling to control the broadleaf plants.....and every time the helicopter would bank to make another pass, the birds would hammer.  The chopping sound of the helo made them crazy that morning.  I hung in there because I had 3 long beards interrested in my calls and thought they were coming in.  Then the pilot needed to refill the herbicide and landed in a green field behind the birds and I don't know where they went after that.  I really can't make this stuff up either. ::)

I don't doubt you at all, but when you stated you heard right at 30, how are you sure it wasn't 31 or 32, etc?  I'm not really questioning you, I am truly wondering how you could count that many gobbles so specifically.

Gobbling Buck

Quote from: FireFly908 on February 23, 2011, 08:09:31 AM
Quote from: Gobbling Buck on February 23, 2011, 02:27:09 AM

I don't doubt you at all, but when you stated you heard right at 30, how are you sure it wasn't 31 or 32, etc?  I'm not really questioning you, I am truly wondering how you could count that many gobbles so specifically.
The area I had set up was a head of timber that came out into a clear cut.  The terrain is very hilly and there are several draws that held trees large enough for the birds to roost.  They were long thin strips of timber and were basically 360 degrees around me......and being in a clear cut, you can hear a gobble a long ways off.  When the helo would bank and chop the air, they would just start one right after the other.....now there very well could have been several gobbles from some of the same birds, but it was one of the most impressive gobbling mornings I've ever heard or heard of, and that was my best estimate of what I was hearing.  I was just kinda' wondering if anyone else has ever had a similar experience with anything that made birds sound off like mad.

turkey_slayer

23 and that was on public land.  Havent been back in 6 or 7 years.  The birds just vanished  ???  We had it to ourselves so it wasnt because of other hunters.  Always heard at least 8 or 10 there.  Got to hunt 1 place with a friend last year and heard about 20.  It was hard to get them all counted cause when one would gobble the others would cut in.

turkey_slayer

Heres a pic from where we would listen from.  We would hike to the top of the mountain and get upon this cliff edge and listen.  Hardest part was figuring out which one we wanted to go after.

Jay

Quote from: turkey_slayer on February 23, 2011, 09:32:49 AM
Heres a pic from where we would listen from.  We would hike to the top of the mountain and get upon this cliff edge and listen.  Hardest part was figuring out which one we wanted to go after.

Right there is more woods than in our whole state :TooFunny:

hookedspur

Just before daylight on top of a mountain here in WV on the right morning you can hear birds from all points of the compass.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

harvester

5 is the most I have ever heard from one spot.

deerhunt1988

Way too many to count on a hunt in Texas. They'd start at one end of the ranch and gobbles would ring out in a wave along the entire length of the river all the way to the other end of the ranch. No possibly way to count the amount of birds but I'd be willing to bet it was 40+.

As far as public land goes...I have heard around 12 in both MO and FL.

Jbird22

Most I ever heard in one spot was in the Quachita National Forest in Arkansas bout 5-6 yrs ago. I can't tell you an exact # but anywhere from 12-15 probably. UNREAL!!!

TauntoHawk

in PA and NY 8-10 is going to be a fantastic property and morning
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Shotgun

Probablly 15-20 all lined up on one ridge.  That hunt didnt last very long.

savduck

13 twice.....once in WV and once in GA
Georgia Boy

3chunter

15 atleast in missouri on a river bank.