North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

effects of run and gun versus other styles

Started by turkey_slayer, March 06, 2012, 06:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

Quote from: Shotgun on March 07, 2012, 07:58:19 PM
Quote from: guesswho on March 06, 2012, 07:14:41 PM
I don't know if a persons hunting style effects how vocal they are or not, never thought about it.  I don't run and gun, but I do spend as much time on my feet as I do my butt.  And the gobbling tapers off a lot in the areas me and my hunting clan hunt as the season wears on.   

Because their all dead by the end of season
Dead birds don't gobble :laugh:
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Shotgun

Quote from: guesswho on March 07, 2012, 08:03:01 PM
Quote from: Shotgun on March 07, 2012, 07:58:19 PM
Quote from: guesswho on March 06, 2012, 07:14:41 PM
I don't know if a persons hunting style effects how vocal they are or not, never thought about it.  I don't run and gun, but I do spend as much time on my feet as I do my butt.  And the gobbling tapers off a lot in the areas me and my hunting clan hunt as the season wears on.   

Because their all dead by the end of season
Dead birds don't gobble :laugh:

They sure don't....If i heard as much gobbling at the end of season as I heard at the beginning I would think they were laughing at me  :laugh:

mfd1027

I hunt the same property over and over and i run n gun.   I'm 60 and I will usually cover 1-2 miles a day.   Our total property is 1200 acres.   My idea of runnin n gunnin is not spending the morning in one spot.  lol   I've hunted this property for years so I know the birds pretty well.   I have relatively specific spots and in some cases specific trees  that i hunt from.   I always give a spot time to produce.   I will set up call for a min. or two then shut up for 10 min. (I used to actually time myself).   Then I'll call again starting out with something soft at first and then I'll pick it up if I don't get a response.   I'll call for a min. or two and then shut up for another ten min. or so,  call some,  wait another 10 min.  and repeat for the last time.   This is at the 30 min. point and if I haven't gotten a response or killed one sneaking in I get up and head to another spot.   I've found over the years that this is what works for me.   You'll be shocked at how many birds will respond on that second or third sequence and lot's of times all you will do is cluck a couple of time.   It's as if they have heard a hen over here and they're looking but haven't found her and as soon as they hear a cluck they will cluck rt. back or gobble.   A good seat is imperative when hunting like this and if you can build yourself a series of groundblinds.   We have a lot of wide open pines so I do that a lot.   I love hunting like this and I don't think it has a negative impact on the birds or the amount of gobbling they do.    I'm not sure if this method is what you consider running and gunning or not.   
Dan

bushwhacker

Where I hunt it's almost all timber and it's all public land. I like to walk and call, always moving. If I come across a promising spot or and area where I heard a gobbler a previous day I will sit and give it a half an hour, if nothing happens I move. I turkey hunt to hear them gobble, I don't like the silent birds and don't have a lot of patience for them unless I know he is close by. But as far as just blundering out in the brush and sitting down and hoping one happens along, not this guy. I have learned one thing from this type of hunting, if you happen to come back to the same spot you called from earlier give it another chance because one may have come to check you out.

oldcreekhunter

ill run and gun and go get him while you wait lol...

GobbleNut

Quote from: bushwhacker on March 07, 2012, 09:44:19 PM
Where I hunt it's almost all timber and it's all public land. I like to walk and call, always moving. If I come across a promising spot or and area where I heard a gobbler a previous day I will sit and give it a half an hour, if nothing happens I move. I turkey hunt to hear them gobble, I don't like the silent birds and don't have a lot of patience for them unless I know he is close by. But as far as just blundering out in the brush and sitting down and hoping one happens along, not this guy.

What bushwacker said.  Right on target for my mindset about turkey hunting.  Of course, there are circumstances where you have to change your regular hunting methods to be successful.  But if I have my preference, I'm going to cover ground to find a responsive gobbler every chance I get.

redleg06

GobbleNut

I'm not sure where the clever little phrase "run and gun" came from, but nobody should take it literally.  To me, the hunting style fundamentally is about moving carefully through your hunting area, and calling in whatever fashion you think will work the best under the prevailing conditions. 

To me, that is just a much more enjoyable way to hunt than sitting in one spot and waiting for turkeys to show up.  True, it is not always the best hunting method to use,..especially on small tracts of ground.  As in all other aspects of turkey hunting, good judgment must be used by the hunter in how he approaches things.

Hunters bumping birds is an unavoidable fact of life nowadays on all but the most exclusive properties,...and especially on public lands.  Learning how to kill those birds that get bumped on a regular basis is an art in itself.  Sometimes the best strategy is to "sit and wait",...and sometimes the best strategy is to "run and gun",...but no one should take that phrase literally.... 

redleg06

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 13, 2012, 08:30:40 AM
I'm not sure where the clever little phrase "run and gun" came from, but nobody should take it literally.  To me, the hunting style fundamentally is about moving carefully through your hunting area, and calling in whatever fashion you think will work the best under the prevailing conditions.  

To me, that is just a much more enjoyable way to hunt than sitting in one spot and waiting for turkeys to show up.  True, it is not always the best hunting method to use,..especially on small tracts of ground.  As in all other aspects of turkey hunting, good judgment must be used by the hunter in how he approaches things.

Hunters bumping birds is an unavoidable fact of life nowadays on all but the most exclusive properties,...and especially on public lands.  Learning how to kill those birds that get bumped on a regular basis is an art in itself.  Sometimes the best strategy is to "sit and wait",...and sometimes the best strategy is to "run and gun",...but no one should take that phrase literally....  

My broter in law made it up..Now you know.

I went as his guest (when I was new to the family) to a property with some extremely hilly terrain and high humidity and was so frustrated by the two separate birds we bumped  that I would have whooped his azz if I wasnt so physically drained from chasing him around the woods... :TrainWreck1:

eaglea1

Theres nothin wrong with run and gun, but I personally prefer to sit and call.JMTC

MOStrutter

I spend a lot of time scouting and patterning birds before and during the season.  I don't run and gun hardly at all.  I have my honey holes that I have found through this method.  I know I can go into one of my spots, and shoot one to two turkeys every time I go in there.  I sit and wait and be patient.  It may sound boring to a lot of people, but I love seeing the turkeys do their natural thing and it's a great way to take new hunters out and get them hooked on it.  I have started using a blind a lot and I do also use decoys since I hunt a lot of fields and pastures.

GobbleNut

I suppose, when all is said and done, it all comes down to what each of us wants in our turkey hunts,...and what methods are best suited to where each of us hunts.  Personally, if I had to hunt gobblers by sitting in one spot and waiting for them to wander by to kill one of them, I would go nuts.  ...It's just not my style....

...On the other hand, if I hunted somewhere that I was constantly having to put up with the "run and gun" hunters that some have described here, I would likely be a bit disillusioned by that hunting style, as well.

swamppirate

Running and gunning=dead hunter in Georgia....way to dangerous....
Duty is the most sublime word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less.
Robert E. Lee

Trevor2

Still in my twenties and running and gunning is where I lose my winter pounds lol
Strutstopper

RemingtonRules

If you fly fish you will understand

Dry fly fishing is fun and can be productive at the right times, but 90% of a trouts diet is spent feeding below the surface.  I look at run and gun the same way.