Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

effects of run and gun versus other styles

Started by turkey_slayer, March 06, 2012, 06:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey_slayer

I've hunted a lot of different ways. Run and gunned a lot in my teens. Killed a lot of birds that way but also bumped a lot of birds. I'm 31 now. Been more of a passive hunter the past 10 and killed a lot more birds out of the same spots. So here's my question. Do you believe run and gun hunting burns out an area?  I don't know how many times after a morning of running that I would spook gobblers from spots I had called from earlier even tho nothing answered. The gobbling would also decrease as the season went on as well. These were national forest spots tho at the time i was the only one hunting them so I knew it wasn't from other hunters pressuring and/or killing them.

Now I find the highest vantage points to listen from and form a plan from there. I don't go after the first bird that gobbles or the one that gobbles the most. I try to figure out which one offers the best opportunity for a kill without bumping other birds. By doing that I can now hunt one spot all season and hear as much gobbling on the last day as the first. What's everyones opinion on this? Do diff types of hunting have diff impacts on the birds?

Frankinthelaurels

YOUR gettin old...it happens to almost all of us, we tend to slow down and enjoy ourselves. Think of it as wisdom and enjoy the ride, it will be less bumpy...sit down and smell the smells and watch all the other sights going on in the woods. Also I've found that I killed more long spurred gobblers with patience and just sitting still instead of run n' gunning...it works, but maybe it's for those teens and twenties!

guesswho

I don't know if a persons hunting style effects how vocal they are or not, never thought about it.  I don't run and gun, but I do spend as much time on my feet as I do my butt.  And the gobbling tapers off a lot in the areas me and my hunting clan hunt as the season wears on.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

turkey_slayer

I guess I should consider the lay of the land to. Here where its steep and mountainous you can get on the high ridges and hear as far as you can hear a gobble. When i hunted Tennessee it was rolling so there could be a bird a couple of hollers over and you might not even hear him. I did a lot of walking there just cause you couldn't hear em as far. I guess there's so many variables it would be hard to narrow it down to anything specific.

turkey_slayer

And Frank I may not be no spring chicken but I'm not old  :toothy12:

WildTigerTrout

I try to determine the best method for the current conditions and go from there. Sometimes I go slow and sometimes I run and gun. I must say though at age 52 I still like to run and gun! You don't have to be in your 20's. :lol:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

turkey_slayer

2ounce were on the same page. Then again, i also have to think of the less fortunate that don't have the amount of time to hunt as me. I can hunt everyday. Most cant except for weekends and we have no Sunday hunting here so maybe for them run and gunning is the best method for them to connect on those suicide birds. If I don't kill one that day I always have the next day. Maybe i think to much lol

twinters

I used to spend a lot of time on my feet also,and even tho i killed lots of birds,i do believe I bumped a lot more.That being said,I still move around and look for birds,especially when they just aren't gobbling,I just move a lot slower and do a lot more listening,I am getting older,and now just being there is enough to satisfy me most of the time(still want to see some flopping).I have more Patience now so maybe thats most of it

jakebird

If runnin and gunnin is done haphazardly (sp?) it can certainly have a negative impact on the turkeys, and i'm sure there are some young newbs out there who misunderstand that definition or take it literally. I rarely ever move fast in the woods. My def of run and gun is simply hunting mobile till i locate a hot bird. I always stick to paths, trails, logging roads and avoid thick nesting cover, appproach bends, clearings, and fields with caution. I rarely ever bump birds when i take my time and hunt deliberately like this. Its the same woodsmanship we use when still hunting for deer except u dont have to play the wind. Move slowly, avoid skylining yourself, peek over rises, ease up to bends, clearings, etc. You can definitely keep it low impact by remembering those things. And like Frank said, slow down and soak up the whole experience. Even runnin and gunnin, i try to notice the rest of the natural things around me. Makes even the fruitless days into rich experiences.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

Bigg E

I think you are right about the type of hunting having an impact on the birds in that area. I hunt alot of public land and have learned to slow down and take advantage of the silent birds that I would have walked past 10 years ago looking for that hot one. For me it seems like the hot ones are getting few and far between with all of the new hunters imitating what they see on TV.
PLEASE TAKE A CHILD HUNTING OR FISHING

dirt road ninja

I've learned to be more patent the past few seasons. I kill more birds grinding on them rather than running all over the woods. Never leave turkeys to find turkeys.

Gooserbat

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on March 06, 2012, 08:51:47 PM
I try to determine the best method for the current conditions and go from there. Sometimes I go slow and sometimes I run and gun. I must say though at age 52 I still like to run and gun! You don't have to be in your 20's. :lol:

I'm 34 years young and I think this prety much sums it up.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

turkey_slayer

But are you guys hunting the same property again and again? If you have a few different places to hunt then yes the impact would not be near as noticeable.

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: turkey_slayer on March 07, 2012, 04:54:16 PM
But are you guys hunting the same property again and again? If you have a few different places to hunt then yes the impact would not be near as noticeable.
No. I hunt quite a few different areas and ALOT of public property.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Shotgun

Quote from: guesswho on March 06, 2012, 07:14:41 PM
I don't know if a persons hunting style effects how vocal they are or not, never thought about it.  I don't run and gun, but I do spend as much time on my feet as I do my butt.  And the gobbling tapers off a lot in the areas me and my hunting clan hunt as the season wears on.   

Because their all dead by the end of season