OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

When to use full strut

Started by yankeedeerslayer, March 06, 2012, 11:40:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yankeedeerslayer

Ok I have a question for the board. I've asked a few of my friends and got different answers. I have a Pretty Boy with a real fan and have used it in the past with success and I suppose about 10 or more birds have been taken with it. I know it works and that brings me to my question.

What phase of the season do you start using the full strut? I know the open season dates are different all over and the phase of the breeding season is different when the season opens depending on where you are. Here in TN the birds are not quite yet into the breeding season. I also hunt KY and Land Between the Lakes and the birds are already into to breeding season when hunting opens up there.

I know nothing is written in stone with these birds I just want to know what some other opinions are with those that use them. I just don't want to scare off some birds by using it too early.
US Army Vet

shadetree callers

Anytime that they are strutting .  I have used them with mixed success . I have had Toms run into the strutter , and I have watched them do the 100 yd dash running the opposite direction too .

yankeedeerslayer

Really thought I would get more input. Anybody else?
US Army Vet

Tuttle

I hunt in KY and have had great success with the them during our youth season (2 weeks before the general season opens).  The first tom that my son ever saw came running in and hammered my strutter at about 10 yards from our blind.  He circled the decoy, purring and pecking at it, then wing whipping him.  That was awesome for me and my 8 year old son to experience together.  I've also had great success with it during our regular season but it seems like the better luck is in the first half of season.  I hunt fields a lot and if I'm going to sit in a blind, I'm taking my strutter and a hen or two no matter what part of season it is. Good luck!!

tomtamer25

I use mine everytime that I go.  I have had turkeys spook from it but when it works it is awesome.

yankeedeerslayer

Well I brought pretty boy and a hen dec to a field for a youth hunt. Three longbeards with no other birds stepped out at 60. They strutted and spit n drum for 10 min. Never come closer and didn't seem intimidated or scared just wouldn't come in. Oh well.
US Army Vet

hotrod49er

Had them come in like on a rope and had them turn away.