Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Whats the best headlamp for hunters & why??

Started by WFI79, March 01, 2012, 09:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WFI79

Over the years I've gone through a ton of headlamps. Some didn't hold up & some I lost but I have never had one that I thought was ideal for hunting.  None of them were the expensive ones but I'm ready to spend some $ now for a good one. Just wondering what all you fellas are running for lights & what ya think of them?
Thanks

RoosterRD

I have went through a few too... cheap ones and heavy/bulky ones.  Right now i like the Browning night seeker pro. I like the green leds for deer hunting plus it has a white light. Its not really bright but good for getting to stand. Best feature is AAA batteries, small and it clips to hat bill (hate lights with straps).  I also carry a back up surefire handheld for some real light if needed. I paid around 20 bucks for it a few years back from optics planet. They are almost half price now.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/browning-night-seeker-pro-w-green-leds-3715099.htm

MCase

I've had a few too over the years and currently am using a Princeton Remix. Happy with it so far.....

My next one will be a Zebra Light H51 or H501w...

MossbergMike

I am with rooster i used a browning clip on all deer season and it workes awesome. Got it for X-mas and didn't think it would be that good but it had red and clear lights and was really bright. I am going to move it to my turkey gear and use it for the season. I also have a small back up hand held. You can never have to many flashlights is my opinion.

rawalley

STAY HOME!

jakebird

Personally, i've had good luck with the cheapies from walmart. I have an energizer with a balck and green strap, has white and red led's that has been my go to light for prob five years or close to it. I carry xytra batteries and a spare lite, but that little cheap headlamp hasn't let me down yet. Has an adjustable angle that is really great.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

nalley1952

Quote from: jakebird on March 03, 2012, 04:55:41 PM
Personally, i've had good luck with the cheapies from walmart. I have an energizer with a balck and green strap, has white and red led's that has been my go to light for prob five years or close to it. I carry xytra batteries and a spare lite, but that little cheap headlamp hasn't let me down yet. Has an adjustable angle that is really great.

Me too, but I don't use it if I can help it

blackmagic

devin4484

streamlight Buckmasters edition.  Its freakin sweet check it out.

archery1

i like those ones u just clip to brim of hat.. not bulky at all.. got mine at cabelas and its their brand about 14 bucks.. takes 2016 or 2032 battery.. which buy them online cause their over half the price as department stores
Take a kid hunting

FloppinTom

I use a couple different ones. I like red led lamps the best when you turn one off you havent lost your night vision like you do with white light. Plus I think the turkeys are affected less by red light. I bumped birds with white lights while walking into an area, but while using the red leds ive had gobblers sound off in an area I had walked through earlier. Maybe they thought it was tail lights and I was leaving! LOL :funnyturkey: 
Go early, stay late, be patient and sit still.

mightyjoeyoung

Not a fan of head lamps in the turkey woods in the wee hours of the morning.   It's attached to your head and hunters have a habit of looking up into the trees while walking in, potentially shining light on birds on the roost.  I have 2 streamlight stylus lights with the green LED.  It preserves your night vision, is rediculously bright for it's size, packs super easy, and you can focus the beam down fairly tiight.  Never once spooked a bird off the roost with one, but my buddy INSISTS on using his headlamp and is constantly looking up into the canopy while walking in.  He has spooked more than one bird so I won't even let him wear it when we hunt together.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

ssettle

I usually use a cheap 5 dollar LED light that looks like a tiny flashlight. It's one that users a triple A battery. Like someone said before sometimes when walking with a head lamp you may look up into the trees. If your climbing up an incline it more likely to happen than not. I use as little light as possible mostly depending on moon light but I hunt the same area though out the season. If you feel you need a headlamp find a brand that has several brightness settings and swivels towards the ground. Good Luck and hunt safe. :fud:

Kylongspur88

Quote from: jakebird on March 03, 2012, 04:55:41 PM
Good lamps.