OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Assemble these to calls, please.

Started by wisconsinteacher, February 29, 2012, 11:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

Here is what I have to make two calls.  Pick the combo.  It does not have to have a sound board for all I care.  I am trying to use these two pots that I ordered.  I made them up and they did not sound the best so I took them apart and want to try it again.

3.5" zebra wood pot
3.5" cherry pot

1 slate playing surface
1 aluminum playing surface

1 glass sound board
1 cherry sound board
1 aluminum sound board
1 acrylic sound board

TauntoHawk

Zebrawood, aluminum surface, acrylic soundboard

Cherry pot, Slate over glass

Buttttt ive never made a call in my life so take that recomendation with a tiny grain of salt
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

wisconsinteacher

They were glued with Goop to start with.  I set the oven at 200 and after 10 minutes pushed on the surface with and old striker from the back through the holes in the pot.  If you go slow they will come.  I did break one piece of crystal.  I was soooo close to having it and then it cracked.

woodwzrd

One of my favorite combinations is aluminum over glass in a cherry pot so I would go with that. that one will give you a real nasty rasp and lots of volume

In the zebra wood I would do the slate over either the acrylic or the cherry sound board. The acrylic would give you a call that sounds similar to a glass sound board and the cherry should be nice and mellow real good for some soft sweet talking

WillowRidgeCalls

What combos did you have glued up the first time?
Glueing them back up isn't going to change the sound of them unless you do something different with the pots. Most times if you reglue a call it sounds a bit flatter than it did the first time, but not always. You have to make sure you have ALL the glue off the glueing surfaces in the pots.
What was it about the sound of them that you didn't like the first time?
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

wisconsinteacher

I had the zebra with crystal and an alum sound board.  The cherry had glass and slate.  It was not clear and muffled.  I just set the slate in the cherry with cherry sb and without glue, it sounds nice and smoot.  I put the aluminum in the zebra without a soundboard and it sounds okay.  With the glass in there (unglued) it is raspy and high pitched.