OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

11-87 SM Choke recommendations

Started by GeorgeJR, February 28, 2012, 11:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeJR

Purchased a 11-87 super mag (3.5")and need to get a turkey choke, but funds don't allow purchase a bunch and figure out what works.  I am going to take an older Undertaker choke and friends Rem Super Full to test, but wanted others suggestions on a good combination for $50 or under choke tube.  Also what size choke would you recommend with that brand choke for #5 lead HV Win shot or similar.  I have Win HV 5's in 3 in and 3.5 I plan on testing with and want to stay with lead.  I've had shots at 20 yrds thru 47 yrds with the 870 3 in and besides underestimating the 47 yrd bird most I can get into 30-35 yrds w/o a problem, but last last spring I only had till 7:30AM to get my bird so I pushed it a bit but was a clean kill. 

Suggestions welcome fairly new to turkey hunting and now have my own gun (borrowed till now) and kids bought me 2 decoys for Xmas!  Gotta like that. 

Saving up for a rifled barrel for Deer so I can use my own equipment to hunt (part of the budget concerns)  Lots of turkeys in our woods and family loves the meat. 

Thank!

Steven
Wisconsin.

nyhunter

jellyhead .660 or .665, There on sale right now at mid way usa. Or kicks gobblin thunder .655-.660.

GeorgeJR

For lead #5 what is the preferred size for your suggestion?  I shoot inside a blind with red dot scope and stick to steady my shot so I would rather have a little tighter pattern and avoid injury / killing more then my one allotted turkey.  I know depends on gun, but what have others seen/used on this type of gun to get a consensus of what normally is best.

Thanks again for your help.

Previous Suggestion:
jellyhead .660 or .665, There on sale right now at mid way usa. Or kicks gobblin thunder .655-.660.

nyhunter

tyelper

if your wanting to same money and get good results, not talking htl results, go to wal-mart or rural king if you have one and buy a tightwad choke 19.99, but some win hv 3x1 3/4x6 through it,,,,,

shuey270

GeorgeJR

I have a .660 Jelly head on the gun, I have a older .665 undertaker to test for patterning as well.  Going to polish my barrel this weekend and the next trip to the farm will see what it does.  Thanks for the help.  I'm shooting lead, but like that if I ever decide I can run HTL if needed/wanting to.  Talked to a friend of mine last night and offered to help him pattern after I heard his hunting story...  He stated he shot a turkey 2 times and it rolled but walked away.  His uncle shot one 4 times (4th shell he stated his Uncle had to go back to the house 700 yrds away and get more ammo and then find the bird again to shot it).  I was a bit loss for words and trying to tell him this is not how you hunt any animal.  Gun he plans on using is at the property he is planning on using.  I'm going to write up instructions and give him some targets so knows what is expected.  I also told him to set up makers on how many yrds out a bird is so he can use that with his pattern to shoot only once the bird is in range.  I'm also going to offer him my shooting rest as i think he needs it more then myself.