OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Decoy location

Started by Aalsobrook, February 28, 2012, 10:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aalsobrook

Whar is the best morning location for a hen decoy

rawalley

depends on the what terrain your huntin...  but for a right handed shooter i would put it to the front/left of me about 20yds away.
STAY HOME!

Footballer

Extremely hard question to answer without more details.

Bigmiah22

If you hear gobbling, get in as close as you can and set up your decoy without being busted. Basically gonna be your best bet.

gunnerj

I'd say the best place for a hen decoy first thing in the morning is the back seat of the truck. Location and set up are the keys. Get as close as you dare, stay still, and be quiet until after fly down.  :anim_25:

matchbook454

I know that a lot of guys say to get as close as you can and I have hunted with guys that actually try to get super close 20-30 yards.  That is too close IMO!  Yes they kill birds but they also bump birds.  I try to stay about 80-100 yards away from roosted birds.  Now, the areas I hunt in IL and WI are usually smaller woodlots or draws - not big sections of timber.  I have found that the best setup is to set up in an opening or field about 75-100 yards from the roost.  I am setup 30-45 min. before shooting time.  I put my decoys 15-20 yards between my blind and the birds and have them facing TOWARDS my blind.  I have had this set up work for me the last 7 out of 8 times for me over the past 3 years.  I am also not hunting the same spots so that has nothing to do with it.  I've killed birds in IL, WI, and Mo doing this.  My turkey seasons have been pretty short to say the least! 

FttFttVroom!

Quote from: gunnerj on March 22, 2012, 08:43:22 PM
I'd say the best place for a hen decoy first thing in the morning is the back seat of the truck. Location and set up are the keys. Get as close as you dare, stay still, and be quiet until after fly down.  :anim_25:

This

paladin

I have not used a decoy this year...yet. Killed 2 so far and will see on the third.
Decoys can do two thing. Draw them in or scare them off. I prefer to set up where when the turkey can see where the hen should be is in range. When he raises his head to look where she should be I pull the trigger.
"have gun-will travel"

nalley1952

Quote from: rawalley on February 28, 2012, 11:52:38 PM
depends on the what terrain your huntin...  but for a right handed shooter i would put it to the front/left of me about 20yds away.
:fud: