OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

WaterProof Box Call

Started by pa b0whunt3r, February 28, 2012, 12:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pa b0whunt3r

Can anyone recommend a good water proof box call? -Thanks, Tom

Spring Creek Calls

In my opinion, you can not make a box call "waterproof" and have it sound good. The coatings that are applied to the paddle certainly do not enhance the sound. If it's raining steadily, use a bread bag or leave it in the truck.

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

pogo

I was also looking for a water proof box call this year and recently purchased a quaker boy Hurricane Supreme.  I played with several other brands in the store and liked this one the best.  I uses a different coating that most (I don't know if that matters), and does indeed work when wet.  This morning I took it out at daybreak while I was listening for turkeys and talked with several hens on the roost, and then called them in after they flew down.  So at least they liked it.  I did not hear any gobblers to play with.

tha bugman

HS Strut has a new one out this year..

trb136

Quote from: pa b0whunt3r on February 28, 2012, 12:03:57 AM
Can anyone recommend a good water proof box call? -Thanks, Tom
I dont know of any Custom Calls Makers that make a waterproof box call...I am sure there are plenty of Commercial brands though...i have never used one..

mossy835

Because it rains so much out here where I hunt I bought a Woods Wise Wet Mystic call. It does play wet and sounds the same as when dry but I do not like the sounds it makes.
The paddle is their non chalk material and the rails have a light coating also but it just does not sound right to me.
I recently bought a standard box call from one of the call makers on this site and I ordered some rain chalk to see what the results will be.

yelpy

Quote from: mossy835 on February 29, 2012, 04:22:13 PM
I recently bought a standard box call from one of the call makers on this site and I ordered some rain chalk to see what the results will be.

Rain chalk will change the way the paddle grips the soundboard. It will really bite into the soundboard. I have tryed it myself and it does change the way the call plays. It could help or hurt the call depending on the call.

I just try my best to keep my box dry and when all else fails use a mouth call, wing bone, or trumpet. You can also get yourself a pot style call that will run soaking wet.

mossy835

Quote from: yelpy on February 29, 2012, 05:01:38 PM
Quote from: mossy835 on February 29, 2012, 04:22:13 PM

Rain chalk will change the way the paddle grips the soundboard. It will really bite into the soundboard. I have tryed it myself and it does change the way the call plays. It could help or hurt the call depending on the call.

I just try my best to keep my box dry and when all else fails use a mouth call, wing bone, or trumpet. You can also get yourself a pot style call that will run soaking wet.

I do have a pot call that will work wet but it is all a learning experience for me. Can not use the mouth calls and I do have a yelper. Thanks for the input.