Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How I clean turkey spurs tutorial (super clean and picture heavy)

Started by VanHelden Game Calls, February 26, 2012, 02:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinGin

So what steps would you recommend for someone like me who just cut the spru off, pushed out the gunk and hung them on a string?. Some have turned all white but now I decided I would like to purty them up. Thanks Sam

VanHelden Game Calls

You mean you left the skin on?  If so I would try to soak/rehydrate them in warm soapy water to soften the skin peel it off and start scraping. 

cannonball

Nick_The_Tinkerer

So what do you do after you are done with them?

Do you just string them up?

Nick_The_Tinkerer

nalley1952

You gave away alot of the trade secrets there.  Great post

FireDoc

Fantastic post. Just found it. Thank you for putting it up.  :thanks:
Go Dawgs!
Beware the Yelp Marks.
Proud Member of the IAFF

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

VanHelden Game Calls

UPDATE!!

To ease the process remove caps while fresh sooner the better.  Take a razor and cut around base of spur cap.  Use a pc of vinyl hose to slip over cap and use a pliers to twist and pull off cap.  Doing this makes bone cleaning much easier and faster, and you can eliminate the BLO on the caps later if you wish.  I still do it though.

Rest of the process is the same.  Just be careful with the pliers and the caps as you could crack the cap and or leave the tooth mark of the pliers in the cap. But its another option.

justturnin

Great post.  I use bone to make some other things and I also soak in peroxide.  I was told by a Taxidermist that soaking in bleach will actually cause the bone to oxidize and begin to deteriorate.  He is the one that told me about the peroxide and he said to make it whiten faster put them on Foil or a mirror to reflect the sun back up on them.
Chris B
Klein, TX
Home of the Yin-Yang Custom Cast Call.  PM me for details

ziggy

bookmarked.  i have a lot spurs from over the years when i just cut the legs off and stowed them in a coffee can.  i may try to go this route with them, because they look so good.  thanks for posting this in such detail.
"Playing that cowboy music
And it feels good, to be working hard"

firstflight111

i always just took the cap's off going to try this out .
CUPPED AND COMMITTED

miro15