OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Patterns

Started by Rockhound, February 26, 2012, 12:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockhound

Somebody show me some LEAD patterns i patterned mine today and really wasnt satisfied i got ( didnt really check poi) all shots at 40

Fed Flight control  # 5 106 with 43 in turkey head seemed shot was a bit high

winchester #5 90 with 23 in head seemed to be right

Hevi shot #5 85 in a 7 in by 8 in square

wis. bowhunter

I have the same issues as you. I shoot the nef 10 guage single shot and have never had a decent 40 yard pattern with any shell other than nitro 4x5x7. I use a rhino .720 with that load. I just bought a kicks gt .690 and have shot federal heavyweight #7, federal lead #5 both with flitecontrol wad , rem. hevi#6 1/7/8 and federal #5 w/o fc wad. I usually shoot at a turkey head and neck picture printed off of the computer with a 4'x4' piece of cardboard as a backstop and count the hits in the head and neck. The only load I would trust at 40 yards would be the nitros. The rest have all sucked with very few hits in the neck and head. It was only about 30 degrees out today but I can't believe that should make that much of a difference because I had the same results in warmer weather. I see pattern pics on here where some guys on here are getting 200 to 300 hits in a 10 " circle.I don't know how you guys do it. If it wasn't for my nitro's I would be hesitant to shoot more than 30 yards. Any help would be appreciated. thanks Jeff W.

BigPeck215

jellyhead .690 -40yds

winchester 3.5", 2.25oz 6's - 152
winchester                  5's - 154

kicks gt .690 - 40 yds

winchester 6's - 131 & 132
winchester 5's -  121 & 115

these are all 10" 40yd numbers out of a NEF 10ga, the jellyead patterns were the best lead pattern i have ever seen

Old Gobbler

Quote from: wis. bowhunter on February 26, 2012, 09:16:37 PM
I have the same issues as you. I shoot the nef 10 guage single shot and have never had a decent 40 yard pattern with any shell other than nitro 4x5x7. I use a rhino .720 with that load. I just bought a kicks gt .690 and have shot federal heavyweight #7, federal lead #5 both with flitecontrol wad , rem. hevi#6 1/7/8 and federal #5 w/o fc wad. I usually shoot at a turkey head and neck picture printed off of the computer with a 4'x4' piece of cardboard as a backstop and count the hits in the head and neck. The only load I would trust at 40 yards would be the nitros. The rest have all sucked with very few hits in the neck and head. It was only about 30 degrees out today but I can't believe that should make that much of a difference because I had the same results in warmer weather. I see pattern pics on here where some guys on here are getting 200 to 300 hits in a 10 " circle.I don't know how you guys do it. If it wasn't for my nitro's I would be hesitant to shoot more than 30 yards. Any help would be appreciated. thanks Jeff W.
you shooting the beads alone on that gun ? rifle sights?
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

wis. bowhunter

I'm shooting a red dot sight.

Rockhound

with the winchesters and federals both im getting around 200 in a 16 in circle and around a hundered in a 10 temps going to be warm today so ill try again looks like i may have to go to jelly head

eight bore

Ever wonder why a 835 with a 775 barrel can get some of the best patterns in the Industry ?
With lead shot in particular, ammo quality could be one reason, but if you look down the barrel of a 835 and a nef i think you will see the reason.
There is no Left or Right -- there is only freedom or tyranny. Everything else is an illusion, an obfuscation to keep you confused and silent as the world burns around you." - Philip Brennan

Rockhound

ok so in almost 70 degree temps today i got a little better numbers with 130 in a 10" at lazered 40 with 200 in a 16" circle WITH winchester supreme #5 2 oz i should have my 25 boxes of federals in tomorrow or wednesday maybe i got some kinda magic lot number that will give me 200 in a 10 at 40 hahahahahahaha

eight bore

What choke are you using in the Browning ?
There is no Left or Right -- there is only freedom or tyranny. Everything else is an illusion, an obfuscation to keep you confused and silent as the world burns around you." - Philip Brennan

Rockhound

kicks Gt 690 Its only had about 7 shots through it and its gettin better every shot

eight bore

Yep, have a 685 that took a while to respond, some chokes are designed to slow wads
with a surface finish but i don't think these are. If you clean it real good and inspect it
with a bright light you will see what i mean.

Rockhound

Quote from: eight bore on February 27, 2012, 05:27:10 PM
Yep, have a 685 that took a while to respond, some chokes are designed to slow wads
with a surface finish but i don't think these are. If you clean it real good and inspect it
with a bright light you will see what i mean.

Surface finish what do ya mean? and what kind of numbers you gettin with the 685? w/lead

wis. bowhunter

Quote from: eight bore on February 27, 2012, 11:36:43 AM
Ever wonder why a 835 with a 775 barrel can get some of the best patterns in the Industry ?
With lead shot in particular, ammo quality could be one reason, but if you look down the barrel of a 835 and a nef i think you will see the reason.
Could you explain what you mean by this. Looking down my nef barrel it looks smooth and shiny.