OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Mossberg 835 and Rem 870 20ga testing !!!PICTURES INSIDE!!!

Started by Philippe, February 25, 2012, 08:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe

Tomorrow morning i will be patterning two shotguns.

The Mossy 835 with a 24" ported barrel, deep cleaned and polished with the following chokes, Pure Gold .670, Mad Maxx .695, Star Dot .676, Hevi Shot .676. I will be testing with Winchester XXT12L6 3.5 2.25oz 6's.

The second shotgun is a Remington 870 20ga with a 26" barrel, deep cleaned and polished. I will be testing the following chokes, Remington Super Full .570 (hevishot) choke and a Carlson's Extended .575. I will be using Winchester STH2035 3" 1 5/16oz 5's, Winchester X203XCT5 3" 1 1/4oz 5's and Federal Mag-Shok High Velocity Lead with FLITECONTROL 3" 1 5/16oz 6's.

I will taking shots at 30 yds only. Reason being, the areas we are hunting this spring is very heavily wooded with logging trails and only a few very small clearings to hunt in, the rest is thick timber. That and i have a goal to actually bring the bird in to 30 yards or less before pulling the trigger.

I will have pictures tomorrow afternoon when i am finished.  :OGturkeyhead:

Philippe

Star dot

Pure Gold .670

Madd, this is a bad shot, it was windy as heck and had a gust make me move just as i shot, but even though most went over its head, the results were awsome.

20ga 870, 20 yards

20ga 870

20ga 870

20ga 870

Philippe

I was not able to get the full test done today like i wanted too, but here is what i have done sofar guys. Looks like the 870 needs some work and a different choke and shell. The Pure gold and the Star Dot really shined. Despite the wind gusts i came home pretty happy.

Philippe

Quote from: Philippe on February 26, 2012, 06:36:00 PM
I was not able to get the full test done today like i wanted too, but here is what i have done sofar guys. Looks like the 870 needs some work and a different choke and shell and some adjustable sights. The Pure gold and the Star Dot really shined. Despite the wind gusts i came home pretty happy.

fountain2

I see the pure gold came in and it works well....maybe I shouldda tried it first!

mossy835

On the 835 I see some dead birds coming up! When you get the 20 dialed in it should perform well also. Good luck!
:newmascot:

Philippe

Quote from: fountain2 on February 26, 2012, 06:51:13 PM
I see the pure gold came in and it works well....maybe I shouldda tried it first!

LOL, This is the very reason i invested in it and all the other chokes on the list. The PG and the SD just happen to come out on top. Soon as i pulled the trigger it felt right and i watched that target light up, even the old man behind me waiting for the board said, "son i believe that's the ticket" lol. I'm still torn between the SD and the PG, i'm gonna pattern them against each other when it warms up.

fountain2

Tell ya what...send me which ever u don't use!...star fit preferably

Philippe

Guys if anyone has a Hastings non-ported for the 870 20ga, please pm me with the constriction. I'd like to do some further testing with chokes with this shotgun in the coming weeks. If someone could conjure one i'd be grateful.

Philippe

I will be doing more work on the 870 20ga this weekend. I will be retesting the RSF, Carlsons and a new Hastings .562, I will be shooting the same shells, plus Federal's Heavyweight 7's, Federal Heavyweight 6's, Hevi-shot 7's and Hevi-shot 6's. Stay tuned for more pix folks!