OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Youth Frame Mouth Calls (or lack thereof)

Started by beards-n-bone, February 25, 2012, 03:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beards-n-bone

I got a narrow palate and am forced to use youth/small frame calls.  The selection is very limited, and I want to make my own.  I feel it will be the only way I am satisfied.  Any accomplished competition callers out there who have to use small frame calls?  If so, I would love to pick their brain about where to find good small frame calls. 

gobbler336

FEATHER RIDGE, thad bright has been makin mine since 2004, i don't do competitions but the real judges love them.

talked to woodhaven and they said they were havin a hard time making a three read in a youth frame that was consistent and would hold well.  i got my fingers crossed they will come up with something.

moonman

Check out Hooks.They have 5 small frame calls.
Keep your nose in the wind,your eyes on the skyline.

Tom Teasers

Tom Teasers makes all there calls in a youth frame.Call shop for shipping.
www.tomteasers.com
Thanks,
Tommy

Shellwaster

I can vouche for Tom Teaser calls. I too have a narrow palate and have been using Tommy's calls for nearly 4 years now. He makes a wide variety to choose from with excellent customer service. Not to mention they all sound fantastic. I will be running his "butt nekkid hen" "tominator 2.5" "redneck hen" "meat call" & "the teaser pleaser". I've also got his "dominant hen" glass pot and his new box call in my vest already.
To say I believe in his calls in an understatement, they have made me a better turkey hunter.

Lumpy

I use youth frame calls, and yes you are limited with youth frames and some the cutts you see on a regular size frame will not work on a youth frame, at least not for contest calling. I use Hook's Jr. Duplicator, which is a batwing cut and it rocks!!!! It's a great all around call, I can yelp, cutt, cluck and purr on it, they are not over stretched, so they are easy to blow, and it is all turkey!!!!! If I can help in any way please let me know!!
Hope this helps.
God Bless
It's not a religon, it's a relationship, JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!!!

Hook's Custom Calls Prostaffer
www.hookscalls.com

sugarray

Check out Joe's calls.  www.motherlodeturkeycalls.com.  All turkey in his calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbird22

I struggled with the same thing for a long time UNTIL I found Hooks. Scott makes the best small frame calls around and will build whatever you need if he doesn't already offer it.

blackmagic

I like the Hooks small frames.  I tried a Perfection small frame last year and it came apart.

tha bugman

Preston Pittman has those small palate calls that work well with youth and adults

tha bugman

+1  :happy0064:
Quote from: JBIRD22 on February 27, 2012, 10:47:11 AM
I struggled with the same thing for a long time UNTIL I found Hooks. Scott makes the best small frame calls around and will build whatever you need if he doesn't already offer it.

Jbird22

Quote from: tha bugman on February 27, 2012, 02:25:54 PM
Preston Pittman has those small palate calls that work well with youth and adults

I started out using the Pittman Little Diamond and Little Exciter but it got to the point where I had to buy 5-6 of each just to get 2 decent sounding calls. I had enough of that a few years and gave Scott Hook a call. The rest is history.

Gooserbat

I don't like to build anything more than a two reed on a youth frame.  howbeit some 3 reed combos do work with a youth frame but for a cataloge call I'll stick to two reeds.   There just isn't enough frame to hold several reeds.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.