Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Full strut with jake fan instead of full fan???

Started by NYGobblergetter, February 23, 2012, 01:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYGobblergetter

I have a killer b that I plan on using this year when taking my step-daughter hunting during youth season. I have seen how effective full strutters can be, but am aware that some people have seen some toms run away from full strutters. I have a jake fan that I can use and was wondering if people use this tatic and what type of success they have had over a full fan on the decoy.

leasburg

I use a jake fan, put a red sharpie to his head a bit and fold his beard in half with a rubberband fo make him look a bit less aggresive
Rub it right pro staff, hunt em boats pro staff, proud supporter of floating the 4th shell, take a kid golfing my hunting spots are getting crowded

NYGobblergetter

thanks for the suggestion, I was trying to figure out how to make the beard shorter, now I know.

leasburg

Some guys cut the beard but i figure just fold it with the rubberband.  good luck, i def like jake fans on my b mobile
Rub it right pro staff, hunt em boats pro staff, proud supporter of floating the 4th shell, take a kid golfing my hunting spots are getting crowded

coyotetrpr

I use nothing but the jake fan for my strutter. I also found out that if I set up so that the birds will approach from behind the decoy it is much more effective.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

Bigmiah22

Gobblers_nightmare

Go with the Jake fan and short beard, unless you know you're hunting a dominant bird.  I've had Jake's, and even sub-dominant mature birds decide they wanted nothing to do with my B-Mobile when set up with full fan and beard. 
The full set up, though, will really upset a boss bird.  I've had some good shows from them since I got the B-Mobile, and they're not paying attention to anything else at all.    Lot's of fun.
Cluck-Gobble-BOOM!

gunnerj

I'm trying a full strutter with a jake fan this year with my boy. He's trying to get one with the bow. I want it on camera. We'll see if he can harpoon tommy boy!

jshively

Quote from: leasburg on February 25, 2012, 10:54:33 PM
I use a jake fan, put a red sharpie to his head a bit and fold his beard in half with a rubberband fo make him look a bit less aggresive

Talk about timing - I was just looking for a pair of scissors to cut the beard on my B-Mobile.  I have a nice jake fan from the fall that I plan to use.  The red sharpie also sounds like some solid advice. :boon: