turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Least Pellet Count

Started by spurcollector, February 20, 2012, 05:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spurcollector

What would be the least pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards you would be comfortable shooting a turkey? My cousins gun doesn't pattern real well but he don't want to change anything.

jakesdad

100 seems to be the standard.I prefer it to be in the 115 +/- range to err on the side of caution.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

R AJ

80 is the rounded off 1 per square inch of surface area number generally attributed to the number to hit vitals. I like a few more than that so 100 is very acceptable.

remmy1187

hookedspur

With the shells and chokes available today there is no reason we cant put 120 - 150 at a minimum in a 10' circle  ,IMHO .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

spurcollector

Thanks guys for the replys. What your telling me is also about what I was thinkiing. I will try to relay this imformation on to him. He is shooting a 835 with factory flush choke and #6 Heavyweight.

goblr77

Gobble!

Ctomp1974

Quote from: Spuriosity on February 20, 2012, 08:36:04 PM
I like lots and lots, but 80 evenly spaced pellets will do. 100 adds a little insurance, and I don't disagree with that number as a minimum.

X2

Hunt4Meat

My 1st few years I was a non-beleiver in patterning a gun. I just went out and hunted. Then I missed a bird a couple years ago, and I was crushed. I patterned my gun and was only getting around 70 pellets in 10 at 40.

I am now a beleiver in more is better, so now I stick with the 100 minimum. But more is better, I wish I could get all of them in 10" at 40
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.

surehuntsalot

85 to 110 pellets work for me
it's not the harvest,it's the chase