OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How long to wait between calling?

Started by BP1992, February 16, 2012, 06:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twinters

calling is only a small part of the hunt,it does not take a lot of calling to get a turkey interested but every turkey is different. after i get one interested i always cut back on the calling, adding realism to your calls is very important,but i believe in making him hunt me,you already know where he is if he is vocal.

ssramage

I read the bird and let that determine.

jakebird

If a find that a bird is real hot and answers my every call but wont budge, i'll get so aggressive you almost wouldnt believe it. I wanna get that bird double and triple gobbling. I'll keep that up till he's gobbling so hard his brain is losing oxygen and he starts to dumb down...lol but seriously, get a bird excited enough he makes mistakes. When hes at the boiling point, i shut up completely and get my cheek down on the stock. I never call again after that. Not every bird will tolerate such stuff, but if u find one, this will kill him. Try it on a more timid bird you may run him out of the county.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

jfair

I had the opportunity to watch one come down a very open mountain side years ago.  Every time I would call he would gobble and go into strut for five to ten minutes.  When I was quiet he would come down the hill very slowly and tight lipped.  When I got myself to just shut up, he worked his way slowly toward me into range.  It was a great lesson that you very rarely get to see.  I have cut back on calling quite a bit over the years and it has increased my success.  I do enjoy making them gobble though.  I like the calling as much as the shooting.

Bigmiah22

I usually do a continues call, as long as i possibly can with my diaphragm...

ok i'm kidding. Like others are saying, there is no wrong or right answer. I usually say patients is key and to keep that gobbler curious...but its all trial an error, you'll learn the more times you encounter gobbling in the morning. More importantly for you if youre just starting off, get out into the woods earlier than later.

nalley1952

Quote from: drenalinld on February 16, 2012, 07:43:05 PM
Tons of opinions on this subject. I think a good rule of thumb is at least 10-15 minutes. This will seem like hours. If he is gobbling a lot, I will call more. If you can tell he is coming, by closer gobbles or visual, don't call, let him come. If you have reason to believe he had hens, more calling may be warranted.

When I first get a response, I like call aggressively and fire him up with cutts and then give him the silent treatment till I can't stand it any longer.
:agreed:

ssettle

If  I get a bird to answer my call and I'm sure its me he is responding too me I pretty much stop calling. I've found I can kill more turkeys that way. Also if the bird is still in a tree I only call enough to get him to gobble to show to me he's hearing me. If you call alot the bird might hang up just out of sight or your guns range. When i know a bird is interested I will scratch the leaves with my hands to sound like a hen feeding. If its damp after a rain I will just cluck by using a push button call and do it sparingly. I taken 4 birds in two year this way. I used a Knight and Hale tom coffin push bottom go get them into range and it has been deadly. :funnyturkey.

Trevor2

Quote from: BP1992 on February 16, 2012, 06:26:36 PM
When you get a gobbler to gobble at you, how long should you wait between each calling series when trying to call him in?
Depends on the bird as said but a general rule of thumb amongst the old timers I have hunted with is if he answers you with a gobble three times lay down your call.
Strutstopper

larry9988

alot of good advice here. call only once or twice while he is in the tree. as soon as he flies down, hit him with a yelp. if he responds, go quiet for at least a few minutes, if he answers and is closer, i stay quiet and get my gun up, it may take a while but he will probably come on in. if when he answers and is getting futher away, i call louder and more often. if he continues to go away, he probably has hens or is headed to area he frequents where hens usually are. then its time to move or wait till he is finished with them and ready to come back. if i sit tight i call every ten minutes or so. if he heads back to you he will usually gobble on the way to you, and i go into the same mode as off the roost. nothing works every time but this will usally work with a bird that is interested.