turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

M2 with 336 Mount?

Started by 01Foreman400, February 13, 2012, 09:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

01Foreman400

I'm wanting to put a Burris 336 mount with a Docter sight on my M2.  My gunsmith said he is a little hesitant about the durability of the mount staying on the aluminum receiver.  In other words he thinks the screws may strip the tapped holes under recoil.  Does anyone have any experience with this?
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

redarrow

I have a 336 mount and Nikon scope on my Nova. No problems at all.

CommandCar

My M2 20ga has a mount and if I mounted anything heavier than a light red dot, the mount loosened under recoil.  I have recently custom shortened longer screws that are lock tited (red) into place.  Now I have 100% tread contact and I am hopefull it holds.  The screws that come with the #93 mount are too short.

My backup plan is to source some threaded inserts that are coarse threaded for aluminum with plenty of locktite.  the inside of these steel inserts will have normal mount screw female threads.  this is the system Browning uses on their gold 10 ga NWTF models.  I have not found these inserts with just a little looking, but they should be available.

01Foreman400

My gun is at the gunsmith right now.  He is adding the 336 mount and actually glueing the mount on and also adding red loctite to the screws.  I don't think I'll have any problems with this set-up.  It will be permanent but that's fine with me.  The Docter sight is also very small and weights only a few ounces.

01Foreman400

Here is the finished product.  He also did a trigger job as well.