turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3-2-5 vs high velocity 3-1.75-5

Started by rcpigg65, February 06, 2012, 10:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcpigg65

My BPS with an old briley 675 choke has always patterned any brand 5's very well , but the 2 oz loads from federal with fcw or the red hull winchester in the black box pattern just a noticable amount better than the high velocity 1.75 oz loads . Inside 40 yds i really cant tell any difference in killing power . Any one else prefer the slower lead loads and have you noticed any difference in power?

stinkpickle

My BPS, back when it was mated with a Comp-N-Choke, preferred the Win XX 3-2-6's to the Win HV 3-1.75-6's.  I didn't notice any lack of power on the business end of the slower, heavier loads.

jtg88

My gun likes the 3-2-6 over the 3-1.75-6 and the 3-2-4 over the 3-1.75-4.  I can't remember a turkey ever walking away after being shot with the slower loads so in my opinion they don't lack any killing power.

BrowningGuy88

My 1300 NWTF with a Comp-n-Choke liked the XX Magnums the best, but I have shot a lot of HV too. I always shot 3-2-6's and if he was 40 yards and in he was toast!

With the Pure Gold in it last year, I shot some patterns with XX Magnum 3-2-4's as that is all the lead I had when I patterned. It was acceptable out to about 32 or 33 yards. I went with Nitro 4x5x7 and H13 3-2-7 and never looked back.

My Model 12 30" Full likes the HV 2.75-1.5-5's the best.