OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Flydown Cackle

Started by EliteArkHunter, February 20, 2011, 10:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EliteArkHunter

Ive been wanting to improve on this....and was wondering if anyone uses this flydown cackle when they are in tight quarters with a gobbler on the roost? whats the easiest call to learn on and andything that might be helpful for me trying to learn this.....and do you use a wing flapping sound with it???

hunts4ever

I ABSOLUTELY USE THE "FLYDOWN " METHOD.  I USE PRIMOS REAL WING THING WITH MY CODY WORLD CLASS CALL. ITS WORKED MANY TIMES FOR ME. I TRY TO SOUND LIKE THE DOMINANT HEN AND MOST OF THE TIME IT WORKS OUT. THE REAL WING REALLY DOES WORK AND WORKS GOOD. BE CAREFUL WITH THE MOVEMENT. I USE IT BEHIND A TREE AND HIT THE TREE WITH IT ON THE WAY TO THE GROUND. AS FAR AS AN EASY CALL, TONS OF GOOD EASY TO USE CALLS OUT THERE ITS JUST WHAT YOU WANT TO PAY FOR. THESE GUYS ON HERE CAN PROBABLY BETTER HELP YOU WITH A CUSTOM CALL IF YOU WANT A CHEAP WALMART TYPE CALL THATS EASY I LIKE THAT KNIGHT AND HALE WITH THE SLATEK SURFACE. HOPE THAT HELPS AND GOOD LUCK!

willy8457

I have an albert Paul Long box that does  a nice fly down cackle. I have killed birds by doing the cackle and then just lightly scratching in the leaves Imitating a bird starting to feed. Lightly clucking and purring. Of course this all depends how close you are to bird, and weather he already has hens with him.

EliteArkHunter

"willy" - you are using a box call you said....are u turning the call sideways and basically doing a cutting motion to achieve this sound?

"hunt4ever" - you use a slate? basically do you use a cutting action on it also?

stinkpickle

I just use my mouth call to cackle.  I used to use my hat for the wing beats, but now I just slap my hand back and forth under my bent knee. 

bird

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 20, 2011, 01:38:04 PM
I just use my mouth call to cackle.  I used to use my hat for the wing beats, but now I just slap my hand back and forth under my bent knee. 

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Skeeterbait

I cackle on a diaphragm and a box.  On a diaphragm I us extended cutting trailing off slower and softer as I go.  On the box I use my left thumb as a spring against the side of the lid and tap the handle with my right index finger.  Most common though I will cackle on the diaphragm while simulating wing flapping using a hat on my leg.

ElkTurkMan

I cackle with a diaphragm as well as a scott's cutter box call.   You would swear there is a real hen in the box on the scott's cutter.  It makes an awesome fly down cackle.

willy8457

Yes using box side ways,  like cutting    starting out cut        cut       cutcutcutcutcut   starting out louder tailing off softer.  They say they do this to the cadence to thier wing beats  as the fly down .  Last year i killed bird that gobbled in tree three times, I called to this bird one time while he was in tree.   I waited till he gobbled next time and did fly down as soon as he gobbled, that bird flew in to about 40 yards  and started to strut  One kee kee on the mouth was all it took for him to move my way a little , so you have to be ready , gun up and pointed in right direction.

hunts4ever

YES ABSOLUTELY. MY CALL IS A SLATE AND YES ITS JUST AN EXCITED CUT. I  START SOFT THEN GET EXCITED JUST LIKE THE BIRDS DO, THEN I SWITCH TO MY WING FOR THE FLY DOWN. THE MORE YOU HEAR IT THE EASIER ITLL BE TO IMITATE IT.

hookedspur

Quote from: hunts4ever on February 20, 2011, 02:17:26 PM
YES ABSOLUTELY. MY CALL IS A SLATE AND YES ITS JUST AN EXCITED CUT. I  START SOFT THEN GET EXCITED JUST LIKE THE BIRDS DO, THEN I SWITCH TO MY WING FOR THE FLY DOWN. THE MORE YOU HEAR IT THE EASIER ITLL BE TO IMITATE IT.
:agreed: :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

turkey_slayer

Quote from: bird on February 20, 2011, 01:47:20 PM
Quote from: stinkpickle on February 20, 2011, 01:38:04 PM

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Same here  :icon_thumright:

3chunter

I use a mouth call and start off slow, then get louder and fast, then it tappers off to a few last cackle sounds.

EliteArkHunter

Great responses....thanks and I cant wait to try it....had several birds last year that I would have loved to use it on.....

bornagain64

I am trying to learn the fly down cackle on a mouth call also.
Remember the call is not very long.  I also use a hat to sound like the wings flying down. It is impossible to use the hat while working a pot call to sound like the wings flying down, I  let my kids use the hat and I do the pot call at the same time. Gets them involved a little.

Here is a video of how to do it on a pot call.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iEZAhm723o