turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sighting in problem Mossberg Bantum*** Update****

Started by neal, February 01, 2012, 11:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neal

Hey guys I bought a Mossberg bantum for my daughter last fall we shot it till it got to cold to shoot. We will be shooting again soon for our KS trip in April.

The problem I'm having is at 25yds it shoots high aim at the neck area on a target it's hitting the head and up, I've got the screw backed all the way out so the back sight cannot go any lower. What's my options? I don't really want to put a red dot on it if possible she's 9 and would like her to shoot the open sights for a few years before swithing to a red dot if she wants to. Seems like the reddot sits to high and I want her to learn to keep her head down on the stock.

Thanks for the help!
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

redarrow

neal

Quote from: redarrow on February 01, 2012, 12:16:25 PM
Can the front site be raised?

I think it is attached securely, I know there is no adjustment but maybe I could have a gunsmith pull it off and put a shim under it? I'll check it out.

Thanks

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

tiggere

its just a pressure fit on the vent rib...you can take a screw driver and tap it right off the end or wiggle it underneath and pop it off...I would seriously consider a Marlin 336 base and a Burris FFII or the new FFIII when it comes out...it sits low enough that you will still have the same cheek weld...if it is a little low a bear tooth comb raising kit is a perfect solution and it adds a little padding in the cheek area for the recoil...

R AJ

You could remove the front sight and put a shim (piece of plastic or metal) under it and try that or take some epoxy and using a tooth pick mix some white nail polish or just use the hard enamel nail polish and slowly build up on the front sight. That should do it. The other option is the old Coarse bead to Fine bead "adjustment".

If it is dead on you may also wind up completely removing the rear sight altogether.

spurcollector

I had the same problem with this setup when I bought this gun for my son a few years back. I took a screwdriver and raised up the front sight and put a shim under it. I think I took a peice of paper and tore off a small strip. I tightly folded this strip until I got the right thickness under the front sight. I now have a bushnell red dot on it that my son has done very well with.

neal

Thanks guys! Probably thinking to old school by thinking she needs to learn to shoot open sights I've got the speedbead on both my benelli's and probably the way to go on this gun as well. She's my only child so first time down this road  ;D

chatterbox

Quote from: neal on February 03, 2012, 04:15:19 PM
Thanks guys! Probably thinking to old school by thinking she needs to learn to shoot open sights I've got the speedbead on both my benelli's and probably the way to go on this gun as well. She's my only child so first time down this road  ;D
This looks like a good option for your daughters gun.
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,17063.0.html

BOFF

Quote from: neal on February 03, 2012, 04:15:19 PM

I don't think so. I'm facing the same issue, same gun. I was taught shooting open sights on a .22 and had to prove I could hit with them, before dad got me a scope.

Also worried about the wallop it packs with the Hevi Shot.  :z-dizzy: She's tiny framed.

Think I'll try lifting the front sight up.

God Bless,
David B.

sugarray

I wouldn't worry about the open sites verses the red dot.  I had my son shooting his BB gun with open sites and he would always shoot high.  I then decided that I didn't want to leave him at home if he couldn't site well with open sites so I put the FF II on the 870 and he is a crack shot with it.  My daughter proved she could shoot well with it too. 

Will there ever be a time when you will really make her or you shoot with true open sites?  If not, then don't worry about it.  If you want her to learn, then have her shoot a .22 or BB gun to get proficient with open sites and let her kill turkeys, squirrels, and deer with a red dot or scope all she can.

SumToy

You can put a bigger/taller front sight on it.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

spurcollector

IMO I think we should do what we can to help our children to be successful. For my sons it was using a red dot scope. I remember when my 11 year old was 8 and we had a big tom at about 25 yards. I told him to put the redot on his head and pull the trigger. He said I cant see his head the dot has it covered up. I said PULL THE TRIGGER. I got to pack out my sons 1st turkey that morning.

neal

Hey guys took the advice put on a fastfire II this weekend and got out to shoot it and its dead on now. Just using the factory full choke that came with it and she is putting 103 in a 10" circle at 25yds using Hevi mag blends.

Its a good solid pattern with margin of error to 30yds, I'm sure we could do better but until she gets some experience 30yds is all the farther I'll let her shoot.

Thanks again guys and good luck this spring.

Neal

sugarray

sawtooth

I think they changed sights on these guns and didn't test them as i have the same issue. :angry9:  Mossberg wants me to pay freight to fix their problem.  Well they can kiss my %$&%=.  So i dished out another $30 and bought the truglo open sight kit for turkey hunting and they work perfect.  Put them ALMOST to the lowest position and their dead on.  Better than cheap factories anyway.  Never been a Mossberg fan because of crap like this.  Anyway gun fits my son great which is why i bought it but just wish they could make a quality product.  First 835 jammed after being shot so traded it a week later.  So far this one functions well so going to keep my fingers crossed.