OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

waterproof custom box ?

Started by pogo, January 22, 2012, 04:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pogo

I am looking to buy a box call and want to go with custom if possible for numerous reasons.  The one thing that mas- produced box calls are now featuring that I don't see from the smaller builders is some sort of weather proof call.  I hunt south Florida primarily and there is always fog and damp conditions, and sometimes light rains.  I can't use a mouth call, I do quite well with a custom aluminum slate with the right strikers when it is wet, but I would also like to add a good short box to my arsenal.  Other than playing it in a plastic bag, is there any answer.  Do the rain chalks or paints work.  Would these mess up the sound that I want?  Are the massed produced waterproof callers just gimmicks,  any call builders dealing with this?  Advice?

Spring Creek Calls

After reading your post, I would get the box you want and use the "rain chalk" on it. If you decide to add the "water proofing" paint, please don't tell the callmaker! I love using a box, but when it's raining steadily, the box stays in the truck.

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

shadetree callers

I would have to agree . When it is raining hard , it's a good bet to leave the boxcalls in the truck . Pick up your pot calls and a good striker that works wet . You could always pick up a commercial box with waterproofing already on it to use in bad conditions . The waterproof paint works well but it looks so ugly that I would hate to put it on a custom call . Rain chalk works better in moist conditions than regular chalk , but it does have it's limits too . When it is rainig hard , I will set up a blind and wait out the turkeys . In this case I take one of my fencepost calls wrapped in a ziploc bag . Here's to sunny skies this Spring !! :happy0064:

pogo

thanks for the advice so far.  I doubt I would want to use the box call in the pouring rain, most of what I deal with is very heavy fog that takes a long time to burn off and I am afraid that it will negate the nice sounds that a good box should make.  Is the rain chalk all I would need on mornings like that?  I guess the other answer would be to use a comercial waterproof box, and although I know if would work, it is the direction I am trying to avoid.

TRKYHTR

There is no way I am going to paint or spray any of that stuff on one of my good box calls. Maybe on a glue up that you don't care much about. I would just use the bread bag.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

shadetree callers

Rain chalk works pretty good . It has really good bite . You can chalk up polished glass with it and it and a call will run like the glass is roughed up . It has a resin core that you can put on striker tips that will make them "bite" even better !! Give it a try .